Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

22 Years of Gilmore Girls – My Obsession.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

This month, we celebrate 22 years of the best show to ever exist: Gilmore Girls.

This show brings me a sense of comfort and joy that nobody or nothing else could ever do. Unlike your typical Gilmore Girls fan who rewatch the series every fall, I rewatch this show year-round. If I’m doing homework, studying, cleaning, preparing for bed, literally anything; Gilmore Girls is playing in the background. If I’m feeling anxious or sad, Gilmore Girls solves my problems.

I have watched this show way too many times that I know all the lines, I can explain every season, episode, backstory, and ANYTHING else. With the many times, this show is playing, my boyfriend has finally pieced everything together and even asks me questions like, “So she’s back Dean?” or “Why is she back with the dad? I thought they didn’t like him?” And it brings me so much joy when he asks these questions and I could just go off and explain stuff to him, show him my favorite scenes, and just share my happiness with him. (He’s not a fan of any of a majority of the characters though, so far he only likes Luke.)

Along with all the other Gilmore Girl fanatics, I really hope we get a second “Year in the Life” series! There are so many unanswered questions and I feel like this is a show that can actually have an ending that’ll satisfy all its fans.

If you have not watched this amazing show, I feel bad for you and suggest you fix that. It has the funniest scenes, heartfelt moments, much drama, and plot twists, and is just perfect. Personally, I am team Logan but I love each of her boyfriends for different reasons, just as I hate them all for different reasons. I will say that after watching this show (if you do the rewatches) you will begin to catch references to past shows, a lot of foreshadowing, and you will wish things went another way. I still cry and laugh at the same scenes I’ve seen millions of times, and there are episodes I strongly hate because of how characters act or just the unhappiness of the episode.

I’m not going to go into my full opinions and theories here, but [SPOILER(S) ALERT]:

I do think that Logan is the best boyfriend in the long run and will forever hate that Rory did not accept his proposal. I HATE that Lorelai ran to Christopher the SAME DAY that she broke up with Luke (knowing that Luke would fight for her) and I hate how Dean treated Lindsay. Oh, and I really really hate the Valentine’s episode at Martha’s Vineyard. (If you know, you know.) Stay tuned for upcoming articles on these controversial topics!

Overall, I love this show and know you will too. I cannot believe it’s been around for 22 years and has only been a part of my life for 7, but I know that 7 is going to only increase because I literally will continue watching this show until I die. I am even plotting to sneak a way to name my children after Gilmore Girls character or just any relation to this show. It is perfection.

Communication and Leadership major @ UT Austin. IG: @stephanie.inclan