This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas PB chapter.

The past few months I have been introduced to different books that I would not usually read, but recently, I have found a couple of books that deserve a spotlight, even more when they become a personal favorite! 

So let me make a small introduction to great books you should definitely read: 

1.   A Brief Story of Time by Stephen Hawking 

“ Humanity’s deepest desire for knowledge is justification enough for our continuous quest. And our goal is nothing less than a complete description of the universe we live in.” 

Stephen Hawking introduces us to a quick read about the basic concepts of modern physics and scientific theories. It explores such profound questions as How did the universe begin— and what made its start possible? Does time always flow forward? Is the universe unending—or are there any boundaries? Are there other dimensions in space? What will happen when it all ends? 

2. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

“We all come into existence as a single cell, smaller than a speck of dust. Much smaller. Divide. Multiply. Add and subtract. Matter changes hands, atoms flow in and out, molecules pivot, proteins stitch together, mitochondria send out their oxidative dictates; we begin as a microscopic electrical swarm. The lungs, the brain, the heart. Forty weeks later, six trillion cells get crushed in the vise of our mother’s birth canal and we howl. Then the world starts in on us.” 

Anthony Doerr engages the reader with its beautiful prose and narrative. The book introduces the story of two kids—Marie-Laure and Werner—during the horrors of World War II. It presents life questions and scientific analysis of the world that would change the way you perceive reality, your passions, and your appreciation for literacy. 

3. Educated by Tara Westover

“My life was narrated for me by others. Their voices were forceful, emphatic, absolute. It had never occurred to me that my voice might be as strong as theirs.” 

It introduces us to the life of the author and her battle with education and her perception of everything that surrounded her. It is an amazing story that represents bravery and standing up for your beliefs and knowledge.

4. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls 

“I lived in a world that at any moment could erupt into fire. It was the sort of knowledge that kept you on your toes.”

It narrates the life of Jeannette Walls, the unconditional love for family and its flaws, the determination and ability to stand up for yourself and know what’s best for you, the ability to determine your own successful life.  

5. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

“Those three things – autonomy, complexity, and a connection between effort and reward – are, most people will agree, the three qualities that work has to have if it is to be satisfying.”

Malcolm Gladwell takes us into the journey of being successful and how it entails more than just “luck” to have a successful career or opportunities. It is all about the right time, the right place, and the right motivations to accomplish great things. 

Incoming mech engineering student at UTPB. Lover of rainy days, books, science, and coffee.