Valentine’s Statistics – Enjoyable for single and taken alike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tennessee chapter.

To round out a week focused on all things Valentine’s, I wanted to share some interesting statistics about the holiday of love.

Now, I think we all know that drugstores love Valentine’s Day because of the copious amounts of sappy greeting cards, chocolate heart-shaped candies and fluffy teddy bears they sell. Despite already knowing that, I was astounded at the number of these items actually sold. And whether you’re single or not, these V-day statistics will grab your attention.

The Dumping: 53 percent of women in America would dump their boyfriend if he did not get them a gift.

Love Notes: 180 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged annually, making it the second-most popular greeting-card-giving occasion AND 50 percent of all V-day cards purchased, were bought within six days of the holiday!

The Sweets:  More than 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate are sold each year for Valentine’s Day.

Pretty Stems: $403 million worth of cut flowers are sold, and Valentine’s Day is the number one holiday for florists.

Shiny Stuff: $2.2 billion of jewelry merchandise are sold in the United States with 1,753 jewelry manufacturers.

What’s Love Got To Do With It: 15 percent of women buy themselves flowers or candy on Valentine’s Day to cheer them up!

Information found at squidoo.com and patch.com.