5 Workout Classes at TRECS That Make Keeping Your New Year’s Resolution Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tennessee chapter.

Did you know that according to CNN.com, around 100 million Americans make New Year’s resolutions? It’s true. But even more staggering is the projected 4 out of 5 who let their resolution fall to the wayside as January fades away. Developing healthy habits and losing extra pounds usually rank among the top resolutions, which means a lot of people don’t stick to their projected fitness plan. Here at UT, though, there are tons of options available to us as collegiettes to keep our workout resolution, and maybe even have a little fun while doing it.
Here are 5 free workout classes offered by TRECS and all the low down to help you pick the perfect one for you.

1.     Yoga
In this relaxing class you will learn to connect movement and breath, which will in turn improve your flexibility, balance and strength. If you’re looking for a more low-key workout, or want a taste of the Zen lifestyle, this class may be for you.
Did You Know?  Yoga has been practiced for over 5,000 years!

2.     Zumba
If you love a little Latin flare, or can’t help but dance when someone plays the Macarena, you’ve found your match with Zumba. This class incorporates simple Latin dance moves with heart pumping music, and the result is a killer workout!
Did You Know? Zumba was created accidentally in the 90s when a fitness instructor forgot to bring the usual aerobics music and had to improvise his class with his own personal mix of Latin tunes.

3.     Kickboxing
Have a little pent up anger at an ex? Has the beginning of the semester stress left you needing a serious outlet? Well don’t take it out on your friends! Instead, try kickboxing, a workout class that builds power and endurance by kicks, punches, and blocks.
Did You Know? Kickboxing began in Japan and evolved from karate.

4.     Cycling
Maybe sitting down is more your style, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit on the couch! Cycling is an intense workout that improves cardiovascular endurance and works your leg muscles like crazy. If you had an affinity for bike riding as a child, or like the idea of a fast-paced workout to good music, cycling may be your ticket to keeping a healthy resolution.
Did You Know? One 40 minute cycling session can burn as much as 600 calories.

5.     Body Blast Boot Camp
Maybe you’re more of a jack of all trades who likes to dabble in many things before choosing just one. If so, the body blast boot camp will drill you in cardio, agility, strength, and plyomeric, and although you might be sore for days, stick with it and you should be spring break bikini ready way before anyone else!
Did You Know? Don’t let the name fool you – while each class is challenging, high endurance, and motivating, there is no military theme!

To see the schedule and times of these workout classes and more, visit the Recsports Schedule.

(*All information on classes from Recsports)