Zooming Into College: The Rise and Fall of a Freshman During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

You probably saw this year as a time to start fresh in a new decade. It would be an era in which you would have the chance to accomplish big things you had been waiting for years to achieve. For me, it was about graduating from high school, leaving my small town, and moving to the city.   Most importantly, I was looking forward to going to college for the first time.  I was so excited about all of these new experiences.  Everything in my life seemed to be going perfectly.  Nothing could ruin it.  Nothing could ruin it,  except COVID-19. 

First impressions 

Initially, I was not upset about finishing my senior year of high school online.  In the past, things have interrupted my preferred course of action, so I  learned to go with whatever came my way.  I liked finishing my work at my own pace and being able to spend more time with my parents. The beginning of the pandemic was when I realized that I rarely took the time to be grateful for everything I had accomplished.  I had recently been accepted to Temple and I wanted to bask in my feeling of excitement and promise for the future. The negative emotions surrounding COVID-19 did not impact me until I moved into my dorm. 

Corona-1, Alyssa-0

I really wanted to experience college the way it played out in the movies.  I wanted to go to crazy parties, make lots of new friends, and just be happy overall.  I would be lying if I said none of this happened. There were parties.  Unfortunately, the parties were not COVID-friendly.   I made a few new friends, but I did not feel happy.  My classes were scheduled to be in-person.   In-person classes only lasted a week.  When we made the switch to virtual learning, I began to wish I had stayed home and loneliness started to steal my joy.  Oftentimes, I would sit in my room wishing I could meet people without social distancing, that way I could connect with people again. I  began to get very emotional throughout the day.  I could not understand why I had to start college during such a challenging time. I thought: “Why now?” and “Why me?”  Now I ask myself: “Why not?” 

Taking Back My Freshman Year 

I decided I was not going to let my situation determine my attitude.  College is only four years.   I do not have time to waste.  One thing I wanted to focus on this year is setting goals for myself and my career.  I feel more prepared to plan ahead.  Also, I think it is important to have things to look forward to so I can stay motivated in school.  So, I joined two organizations.  Her Campus Temple was the first thing I signed up for!  Being able to meet people online who also have an interest in writing really helped me feel better. Participating in activities helps to distract me from all the craziness going on in the world.  They are productive distractions and they help keep me busy. I noticed that I feel like I’m at my lowest point when I have too much free time.  I thrive off of interaction.  As a result, having the ability to connect with others in a safe way is what keeps me motivated. 

What I Have Learned

This year has taught me many things about myself and how I can learn to overcome challenges in a healthy way.  I have become more resilient since so many things were taken away from me. I have also accepted that not everything is going to be perfect in my college career and that is okay.  This experience has kept me humble, grateful for the many things I have – like my health – and, most importantly, hopeful.  I now know that I can overcome anything life throws my way.  I am ready to take on college, one Zoom at a time. 

Alyssa Threadgill is a senior journalism and theater student at Temple University. She is also a Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple. Alyssa takes great pride in her chapter membership, as she started writing for Her Campus as a freshman in 2020. She has always had a passion for media and dreamed of being "the next Oprah Winfrey." From a young age, she was involved in the performing arts, studying classical ballet, tap and jazz for more than 10 years. For Alyssa, having a career in entertainment journalism is the perfect way to combine her two passions. For the past few months, she has been working as a freelance entertainment writer, covering film and television press junkets and other interviews. Alyssa is also a Multiplatform Programming Intern at 6abc in Philadelphia. She is proud to intern at her favorite hometown television station and work alongside journalists she has admired since childhood. Alyssa's career goals include becoming a Red Carpet correspondent and then later hosting her own entertainment talk show on a national network.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!