Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus

Your Guide to Virtual Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Have you thought about joining a sorority, but you don’t know what to expect in the midst of a global pandemic? Are you wondering how in the world rush week could ever be effectively pulled off online? Well, look no further and fret no more! This spring semester I decided to rush a sorority. I survived virtual recruitment, and you will too! Here’s your go-to guide to navigate the recruitment process and make the most of virtual rush week:

Intro Video

Prior to rush week, you will probably have to record an introduction video. Sure you should touch on the basics: name, year, major, and hometown, but also add your sparkle! Talk about your hobbies and what you like to do for fun, along with any required questions you may have to answer. If you have to answer a question of choice, pick the question that speaks to you the most and that you feel passionate about. 

Picking Your Top Choices

Just like how you made a video about yourself, sororities will do the same thing! You will probably have to watch numerous videos each sorority has made to show you what they are about. After you watch all of the videos, you will have to rank the sororities based on which ones you liked the most, or felt the most interested in. Just to specify, if your school has six total sororities to choose from, for example, the sorority you liked the most would be ranked “1”, and the one you liked the least would be ranked “6”. You will complete this ranking with your Rho Gamma(s).

Rho Gamma Groups

Throughout the recruitment process, you will be a part of a “Rho Gamma group.” What’s a Rho Gamma? To simply put,, a Rho Gamma is a sister from one of the various sororities who helps you throughout the recruitment process. A Rho Gamma’s sorority affiliation is classified, meaning you won’t know which sorority they are in, so as to give you unbiased advice and information to help you find the sorority you feel is the best fit for you. Your Rho Gamma group may consist of two Rho Gammas, along with you and the rest of the PNMs, or “Potential New Members”. You will have to meet with your Rho Gamma group before each round during rush week, and you will probably have to meet again after you finish your rounds each night in order to rank the sororities you visited that evening.

Values Round

As for the rounds, there are three: Values, Philanthropy, and Preference. If I had to describe Values round, it would be like when you step down into a swimming pool: a nice, relaxed way of getting used to your environment. Values round is where you learn each sorority’s core values. A value can be anything like “Friendship,” “Kindness,” or “Loyalty,” for example. Take a moment to think of three things you value, whether that be in a person, or a sorority (wink wink). Whatever three words that come to mind may be helpful to talk about during Values round. Overall, during this round you will probably talk to multiple sisters and answer a lot of introductory/ “getting to know you” questions. Be warned, you will answer these sorts of questions all weekend long. 

Philanthropy Round

Next is Philanthropy round. This round is where you learn about the philanthropic organization each sorority is connected to. You will talk about any acts of service you have done, how it made you feel, etc. Just like Values round, you will probably talk to multiple sisters. Feel free to ask questions about each sorority’s philanthropy, such as events and fundraisers they hold, etc. 

Preference Round

The final round is the Preference round. By this point, you will probably be visiting around 1-2 sororities. One helpful/positive note to keep in mind, is that this round basically means said sororities are hypothetically interested in giving you a “bid,” or a spot in the sorority. This round is a very intimate, vulnerable, and emotional time, and it will look different for every sorority. I was warned there may be crying during “pref round,” and to be honest, I actually teared up quite a bit. Again, you will probably talk to multiple sisters, but this also depends on how each sorority conducts their pref round. I would go into more detail, but they are meant to be a private experience only for the sisters and the invited PNMs. 

Bid Day

After you rank your options one final time, you are officially done with recruitment. Woohoo, yay you! All that is left is Bid Day. Bid Day is when you get your invite to join the sorority or one of the sororities you visited on pref night. It is a very exciting time filled with anticipation. Since it may be online, you will probably be taken into a Zoom breakout room with a Rho Gamma and they will share a link or PDF file with your virtual bid! Otherwise, you will be told where to pick up your bid in-person, in a safe, socially-distanced and masked way.

Now that I have went through the general process with you, here are some tips/things to note that I picked up throughout my recruitment experience:

1. Be Yourself.

It sounds super cheesy, but it’s true. You are looking for the sorority you feel is the best fit for you, so why would you want to try and hide any of your awesomeness? Being yourself is the best way for the sisters to see what an awesome addition you would be to their chapter. 

1. The Sisters are Nervous Too!

Just as you may be feeling a bit nervous about the process, the sisters are feeling the same way! They are just as new to online recruitment as you are, and do not know what to expect of potential conversations, lengths of discussions, technical glitches, etc. Try asking them how they are doing, since a virtual recruitment may be very new to them.

1. Ask Questions!

Asking questions is the best way to find out more about each sorority, along with deciding which sororities you feel a greater connection with. Ask about fun activities the sorority has, clarification about the philanthropy, how to get involved within the sorority, or even asking questions specific to the sisters. Asking sister-specific questions is a great way to maintain an engaged conversation that makes you feel more connected during a screen-to-screen conversation. Try asking what drew the sister to her specific sorority, or what event has been her favorite to participate in. 

1. Keep an Open Mind.

You may be going into recruitment with your sights set on a specific sorority, or you may have absolutely no idea where to begin. Either way, keep an open mind! The sorority you thought you wanted to join may end up not feeling like the perfect fit for you. It is important to keep your options open, this means attending ALL of the parties you were invited to each evening. Not attending is not only a sign of disrespect, but narrows your options way too thin later in the recruitment process. 

1. Zoom Fatigue is REAL.

Yeah, you are not standing around in heels for hours, but give yourself some credit. Blue light is real, and it’s damaging. You’re going to feel exhausted each night, it’s only natural, so make sure you are in a comfortable space! Sit in a cushioned chair, or if you can’t, lay a blanket down on that stiff seat for some makeshift comfort. Remember to stretch yourself out, keep up with your meals, and get plenty of sleep each night.

1. Utilize Break Time Wisely.

Depending on how your schedule is laid out each day, you may only have ten minutes in between each “party” you attend. Make sure to do a quick bathroom break, have a snack if you’re hungry, and remember to hydrate. You want to make sure you’re ready to go, since each party is typically 30-45 minutes long. 

1. Know How to Dress.

Even though you’re not in person, you still want to put your best foot forward and dress for the occasion. Typically, Values round is casual/loungewear, so wear whatever you want. For Philanthropy round, you should dress as if you were going out to a nice family dinner or a brunch with your grandmother– oddly specific, I know, but it is a nice way to evaluate if you are dressed appropriately for the day. Finally, Preference round is more formal wear. Have some fun with it and wear something that makes you feel beautiful and confident, even do your makeup if that’s your thing! Getting ready for the rounds, hair, clothes, makeup, and all, made me feel like I was a model rushing to get ready for the runway, so definitely have fun with it. Even better, since it is virtual, you do not have to worry about wearing heels or a dress, so sport some sweatpants and fuzzy socks with your ensemble!

1. Stay Away From Certain Talking Points

There are certain subjects that are not the most appropriate to be talked about during recruitment. Make sure to avoid topics like boys, gossip, talk surrounding specific sororities or fraternities, drugs, alcohol, partying, etc. Chances are, if you feel like it’s a risky subject, it probably is and should not be brought up during the rounds.

1. Sororities May “Drop” You, and That’s Okay.

While you are ranking sororities, they are ranking you back! It is totally okay and normal to not be visiting all the sororities you wanted to throughout the recruitment process. It really is all about finding your fit, and if you find you were dropped by a sorority, then it just was not meant to be. Trust me, it happens to everyone– even me! Try not to take it too much to heart and enjoy visiting and getting to know the sororities who do invite you back!

1. Be Confident and Have Fun!

Honestly, recruitment is great interview practice. I found the more I talked to the various sororities and sisters, the more confident and ready I felt to take on the rest of my night. You definitely get a feel for the flow of recruitment and feel more prepared and comfortable each night. Remember to be yourself– and be excited! Treat everyone with kindness and let them know and feel how happy you are to be here talking with them! Remember to be open and authentic. If you are asked how the recruitment process has been or how you’ve been feeling, let them know if you’ve been feeling a little nervous or a little exhausted, the sisters are feeling the same way and can relate! Sorority recruitment is a very exciting and fun time, so make the most of it. Enjoy meeting new peers, know how awesome you are and how great you’ve been doing, and trust the process!

Brynne is a senior Advertising major at Temple University concentrating in Copywriting and Art Direction. She is interested in all things fashion, music, romance, and art. When she is not writing for Her Campus, you can find Brynne creating her billionth Spotify playlist, frequenting the nearest spot selling iced coffee and bagels and lox, or online shopping.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!