Your Guide to Philly in the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Winter is on its way out, and the warm weather is finally starting to make its way to Philly. As the season change, so do some of the activities available in the city. Here’s your guide to some fun activities and events to check out in Philly now that Spring has sprung.

Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens 

Although Magic Gardens is open all year round, spring is the perfect time to visit because this is mainly an outdoor exhibit. This exhibit features murals and other pieces created from “non traditional materials such as folk art statues, found objects, bicycle wheels, colorful glass tiles, and hand-made tiles,” according to the website. All of the works were created by Isaiah Zagar.

Tickets can be purchased at the entrance or online. Admission is $10 for adults and $8 for students with a school ID. Be sure to visit their website for hours and other information about the venue.

Spruce Street Harbor Park 

Spruce Street Harbor park is the perfect place to enjoy a spring day. The park is free and open to the public. Visitors can relax in hammocks, enjoy food, and play various games along the waterfront boardwalk. In the evening, visitors can enjoy entertainment and colorful lighting around the park.

NFL Draft

The 82nd NFL Draft will be held in Philadelphia for the first time in over 50 years. The events will take place over the course of three days; April 27-29. A majority of the festivities will take place on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, but there are other locations where events may occur.  Some events and activities that you can participate in include viewing of the Vince Lombardi Trophy, a chance to take a look into an NFL locker room on gameday, and see the ESPN set with live coverage of the draft. Many of the  events require a Fan Mobile Pass. Visit www.discoverphl.com [http://www.discoverphl.com/nfl-draft-philadelphia/experience] for more details about the passes.

Philadelphia Science Festival

If you are looking for something educational to do, the Philadelphia Science Festival is the place to go. This event takes place near Penn’s Landing; it contains “scientific celebrations with nine days of events at restaurants, breweries, museums, libraries, and other neighborhood spaces,” according to visitphilly.com. Some of the events include prom at the Franklin Institute, star parties, and seminars about various fields such as marine biology and forensics.

Subaru Cherry Blossom Festival of Greater Philadelphia 

This festival takes place from April 1 through April 9 and is presented by the Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia. Not only can you see see the cherry blossoms trees blooming, but you can also get a taste of Japanese culture. Some of the cultural activates you can experience are Sushi making classes, Dance demos, films and origami. Visit the event website for a full calendar of festivities.

Run the Rocky Steps

Head to the Philadelphia Art Museum to see the Rocky statue and run up the steps, just like the infamous scene from the movie.

Manayunk StrEAT Food Festival

On April 9, Manayunk will transform its streets into a feasting ground. Over 50 food trucks and other food vendors will line the streets with just about everything you can imagine. Some food trucks that will be at the festival include Philly Fry, Cannoli World, Revolution Taco, Mama’s Meatballs, Hai Street Kitchen, and Sugar philly. While eating, attendees are able to enjoy live music. Don’t forget to mark your calendars for this delicious event.

Phillies Game

Spring means that baseball season has begun. Head to Citizens Bank Park for a Phillies game. On select days, the Phillies host Student Steal games. Tickets are only $15 dollars with a $12 concession coupon. In a select part of the stadium, anything you can eat or drink is included in the admission fee of your ticket. Visit the Phillies website [https://www.mlb.com/Phillies] for more information about these steals and the exact dates these promotions are being offered.

Free Yoga at Race Street Pier

Starting April 10 through November 12, head to the Race Street Pier to de-stress from the struggles of college. Classes take place on Mondays through Fridays at 7 am and Mondays through Thursdays at 6 pm. They also offer classes on Saturdays and Sundays at 9:30 am. This is the perfect way to escape the stress of the semester.

Group Fitness at Dilworth Park 

Starting on April 4 through May 25, Dilworth park will be hosting a series of FREE group fitness classes sponsored by Rothman Institute Orthopedics. Some of the classes offered are Yoga, Boot Camp, and Tai Chi. You can also run with the City Fit Girls Running Club through Center City.

Classes and times vary, so be sure to check out the Dilworth Park Facebook page for more information.

It’s time to get outside and explore the city! Take advantage of all that Philly has to offer and enjoy spring.

Temple University '19. Journalism Major with a minor in Spanish. Instagram: Arogers523 | Twitter: alexismrogers
Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.