Your Definitive Guide to the Best Drugstore Makeup in the Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Has there ever been a point in your life where you want to buy makeup, but do not want to spend all your money at Sephora? It happens to me all the time. Don’t worry though ladies- I’m going to help you find awesome drugstore makeup dupes!

1. Primer

Let’s start off with one of the most important, yet most forgotten step: primer. I love Benefit Porefessional Primer because of how smooth and tacky it makes my skin feel, however, being a college student, it is not easy to always afford a high end primer. There are two drugstore dupes that I have found for this primer. The first is Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser Primer ($6.99) and it’s amazing because it really does erase all my pores. It is a gel primer and minimizes the appearance of pores while making your face makeup long lasting. NYX Angel Veil Perfecting Primer ($15.99) is the other dupe. This product is especially great for oily skin because it controls the oil throughout the day.

2. Foundation

Who doesn’t love a great foundation? People usually spend money on more expensive foundation because they think drugstore foundations won’t be good enough, but I have the perfect drugstore foundation for you. The L’Oréal Infallible Foundation ($12.99) series is a great dupe because not only do they have a Pro-glow foundation for people with dry skin, but they also have a Pro-matte foundation for people who have oily skin. This foundation comes in a wide range of shades.

3. Concealer

Concealer is a must to cover up any blemishes, dark circles, or to highlight your face. Every beauty guru is a sucker for the Tarte Shape Tape Concealer because it is so full coverage, but again, it can be hard to afford a product like it. It was hard to find a dupe for this, but the Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer ($8.99)  is definitely the one. The thing that is so great about it is the fact that it is so full coverage and blends really well, and that is very rare to find in a concealer.

4. Bronzer

Warming up the skin with bronzer is always a must, and when you want a more glam look, contouring is your best friend. My favorite bronzer happens to be a drugstore bronzer: the Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer ($14.99). Not only does this bronzer smell like everything beach related, but it also does a great job warming up my skin after I put on my foundation. Contouring your face defines certain features on the face like your cheekbones, nose and jawline. A great drugstore dupe for contouring is the NYX Professional Makeup Wonder Stick ($11.99). One side of the stick is a dark contour shade while the other side is a light highlighting shade, and it is a cream contour instead of a powder contour.

5. Eyeshadow

Eyeshadow can definitely make or break whatever look you are going for whether it is just a natural, everyday look or a glam look. The best eyeshadow palettes that are super affordable are any of the Morphe palettes($15-$40). They’re so pigmented and affordable. Every beauty guru uses Morphe palettes, so these palettes are clearly a great purchase. However, you won’t find these palettes at a drugstore. Instead, you can find them either at Ulta or the Morphe website.

6. Mascara

Of course you want your lashes to slay the game and look super long and thick. My favorite drugstore mascara is the L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Lash Paradise Mascara ($9.99). It makes lashes look so full, and it doesn’t make them clump together. People say that it is a dupe for the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara ($23) so you’re saving a good amount of money.

7. Lips

Lips are super important in a makeup look because pull your whole look together. they can either be bold and bright or a more subtle, nude color. My holy grail drugstore lip product is the NYX Professional Intense Butter Gloss($5-$7). These glosses are amazing because they are so creamy and soft. They come in so many different shades you can find a color for every occasion.

8. Highlighter

Last but certainly not least: highlighter. Highlighter can make or break a look. I have two great highlighter options. The first is the Wet n Wild MegaGlo Highlighting Powder ($4.99). This highlighter had me shook when I used it for the first time because it is so pigmented. You will get a drugstore highlighter that acts so similar to a high end highlighter. Maybelline Master Chrome Highlighter ($9.99) is the other option. It’s super pigmented and metallic.

You definitely don’t need to spend a crazy amount on expensive makeup. Drugstore makeup works just as well and can help you create the exact same looks.

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus