Your Comprehensive Guide to a Day in Old City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Old City, one of Philadelphia’s most historic districts, runs from Front Street to 6th Street. Nestled along the Delaware River, the beautiful and historic layout of this district serves as a quaint respite from the more congested areas of the city. No matter the time of day here, you are guaranteed to find something to do, see, or enjoy in the area. So, if you have a day off, have never been to the city, or just want to explore (a little guidance never hurts), then here is your guide to restaurants, must-sees, and more in Old City.

How to Get There (and back)

To get here from Temple University, you’re going to take the Broad Street Line subway Southbound to AT&T Station. Of course, if you have your own transportation or want to Uber, go for it! Otherwise, you can hop to the BSL from either of Temple’s local stations. You can purchase a ride at a fare kiosk against the wall for $2.50, just follow the prompts for “Quick Trip”. You get off at City Hall, but don’t exit the station yet. You get a free transfer to Old City via the Market-Frankford Line! To make this transfer, follow the blue signs that say Eastbound to Frankford Transportation Center, wait for the train, and get off at 2nd Street. You’ll pop out right in Old City! If you don’t feel confident with the train system, want to play it safe, or just want to enjoy the weather, the walk from City Hall Station is beautiful and serene on a nice day. It’s roughly 1.5 miles (about a 30 minute walk) but it’s all flat sidewalks, and you’ll definitely see a lot of dogs as you get closer to Old City!

*(To get back to Temple’s campus, hop on at 2nd street (Market-Frankford Line), go Westbound to 69th street, get off at City Hall, and follow the orange Broad Street Line signs to transfer to Northbound to Fernrock Station, getting off at Cecil B. Moore or Susquehanna-Dauphin.)

Where to Eat

So, now that you’re here, you’re STARVED from the commute. Lucky for you, Old City is home to an eclectic and modern variety of restaurants. If you’re craving something simple, Sonny’s Famous Cheesesteaks knows how to do a cheesesteak right. They also serve a mouth-watering selection of burgers, grilled cheeses, and sides to choose from.

Craving some pizza? Big Ass Slices has got you covered. Their slices, as you could assume, are BIG, and the quality is outstanding. Their prices for big slices start at $4.50, and if you’re a tater tot connoisseur like me, then you’ve just found your new go-to.

If you’re looking for something a little more high end, FARMiCiA and Revolution House provide great food and even better atmospheres. According to their site, FARMiCiA holds “emphasis on local, seasonal ingredients is based on our support for sustainable agriculture & to the growing demand for healthy, creative cuisine.” They serve, breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner, have vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options, and it is seriously ALL outstanding. I recommend the Brie Stuffed Burger off the lunch menu — still not over this one. Revolution House’s atmosphere is just as good as their menu. If the weather is nice, you can sit upstairs on the outdoor rooftop. I recommend the Tri-tip Cheesesteak Flatbread Sandwich and Buffalo Chicken Dip; they’re out of this world.

Bonus: Mac’s Tavern, owned by Rob and Kaitlin McElhenney of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia offers a fun-filled sports bar atmosphere with a super tasty appetizer list. If you’re a fan of the show, definitely check this place out.

If you’re hankering for something sweet, check out The Franklin Fountain and Shane Confectionery. Both owned by the same family, they provide old-fashioned and delicious desserts and candies. You can even get your ice cream in a cute take-out container (helloooo Instagram story)! Check these places out and bring some candy back from Shane Confectionery to last you the week (or the train ride back if you’re anything like me).

Things to See/Do

If you haven’t been to Philadelphia before, you have to learn about this great city’s history. And what better place to do so than in Old City? Must-sees include The Betsy Ross House,  Independence Hall, The Museum of the American Revolution, and The Liberty Bell Center (admission to this one is FREE). Also, make sure to check out some of the local parks, like Franklin Square and Spruce Street Harbor, which both feature games, food, and seasonal entertainment.

Old City is also full of art and design studios. Walk around and get inspired by the modern and unique designs you see, but definitely take a stop at People Prints 3D. Their window is full of miniature people. If anything, you’ll get a laugh, but definitely consider getting a miniature you (because why not?).

So, next time you have a day off and want to enjoy the city, make sure to check out Philly’s oldest district! It’s full of life, history, great food, and you’re guaranteed to have an eventful day. You can check out Old City’s official website for upcoming events, festivals, art gallery openings, and more.

Emily Salmon is a Public Relations student at Temple University. Originally from the suburbs of Philadelphia, Emily spends most of her time soaking up city-life. Her passions include fashion, food, writing, traveling, photography, and animals.
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus