The Notebook
The Notebook
New Line Cinema
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

In lieu of February being our designated pink, red, and white month, here are 10 romance movies on Netflix to warm up your winter and your heart!

1. The Lucky One

Zac Efron? In a romance movie? That should be enough to get you hooked! This heartthrob, alongside Taylor Schilling, stars in this touching film in which, Logan Thibault, after a near-death experience in the Marines, won’t rest until he finds the women that saved his life. When Logan finally meets the mystery girl, Beth, there are many obstacles that come in the way of him getting to know her. Will Logan successfully connect with the woman who has no idea she saved his life? Tune in to Netflix to find out.

2. Dear John

Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried star in this melancholy and heartfelt movie. In a peculiar series of events, John Tyree, a U.S. soldier, meets Savannah Curtis, a college student. Sparks fly instantly between the two lovebirds. When John gets re-enlisted, the couple is forced to rely on letters to keep their relationship alive. As weeks turn into months and months, the trials and tribulations of space become heavier. Stream Dear John to find out if John and Savannah’s relationship can withstand the distance.

3. Safe Haven

Romance with a hint of a thrilling mystery perfectly encompasses the plot of this hit film. Katie Feldman (Julianne Hough) scrambles to recreate her life to leave her dark past behind but after taking a waitress job, she meets Alex Wheatley (Josh Duhamel). It does not take long for Alex and Katie to build a relationship; after all, Alex is popular in his small community on the coast of North Carolina. With Alex and his children helping to heal Katie’s emotional wounds from the past, the calm is soon interrupted by a major storm. Katie is forced to face her fears as a familiar figure of darkness finally catched up to her. Take a peek on Netflix to see what happens to Katie, next. 

4. The Holiday

Looking for a Valentine’s Day classic that just never gets old? The Holiday is the movie for you! Iris Simpkins (Kate Winslet) is unhappy with her life and needs a change. What better way to make that change than to swap lives for a few weeks with someone else? As she swaps homes with hopeless romantic, Amanda Woods (Cameron Diaz), she sincerely hopes for the best. And it all seems to work out when both Iris and Amanda find their perfect match in each other’s hometowns. What now? Will Iris and Amanda maintain their love interests when they switch back to their normal homes? See for yourself!

5. Ghosts of Girlfriend’s Past

Are you a fan of Matthew McConaughey? Then you’re definitely in for a treat with this one. McConaughey stars as Connor Mead, a big-time flirt with an even bigger roster of ex-girlfriends. On the day before his brother’s wedding, Connor finds himself on a Christmas Carol-esque journey through his past, present, and future relationships. Will men like Connor ever settle for something serious? It seems only time will tell, in this film!

6. The Ugly Truth

Katherine Heigl has certainly made her mark in the number of romantic comedies she’s been cast in, so far! In this production, Heigl takes on the role of Abby Richter, a TV producer and hopeless romantic who cannot seem to find the right guy. To Abby’s dismay, she gets partnered up with famous TV presence, Mike Chadway (Gerald Butler), who is determined to build his next show around what sets men and women off. We’ve all heard the phrase, “opposites attract,” right? Can these two vastly different people prove it right? Stream The Ugly Truth now to find out.

7. The Last Letter from Your Lover

If you are looking for a new and more serious love story, you might want to check this one out! Shailene Woodley and Felicity Jones are cast as the strong female leads in this film with their characters set in different time periods. Jennifer Stirling (Shailene Woodley) is a 1960’s house-wife who modern-day reporter, Ellie Haworth (Felicity Jones), is undeniably intrigued by. After finding Jennifer’s love letters, Ellie won’t stop until she solves the mystery of the affair at hand. Not only is this film unique in its love story, but the strong female presence is absolutely one for the books. 

8. About Time

Time travel AND romance? It’s about time! About Time stars none other than Rachel McAdams as Mary, the woman who Tim Lake (Domhnall Gleeson) falls in love with. Tim meeting Mary is quite literally a “once upon a time” experience as he meets her through time travel. Though Tim’s main purpose of traveling through time is to find love, he also wishes to escape the hardships of his normal life. In the end, he comes to find that even time travel will not stop his issues from catching up to him. Click on this flick to see if Tim and Mary live happily ever after. 

9. 2 Hearts

Ever seen Euphoria or the Kissing Booth series? If so, then you know Jacob Elordi. Jacob plays the role of Chris, a first-year student in college with a sickness that hinders his future. Upon meeting Sam(Tiera Skovbye), the two connect on another level. But wait, there’s another love story! While Chris and Sam get to know each other, so do Leslie – a small-town girl (Radha Mitchelll) – and Jorge (Adan Canto), a Cuban runaway. Although there are two stories happening at once, they occur in different decades but are connected through a common factor. Experience the true story of 2 Hearts and see what makes these two love stories whole! 

10. The Notebook

Truly a classic. Probably needs no explanation but I’ll give you one anyway! The Notebook tells the story of an elderly couple, Noah and Allie. Noah and Allie are connected at the hip in their older years; however, they had to persevere through several obstacles in their youth to get to where they are now. Young Noah (Ryan Gosling), a millworker, and Allie (Rachel McAdams), a rich romantic, met unexpectedly. Love at first sight. But when Allie’s parents decide they don’t approach, they’re forced to love in secret. Torn apart when Noah is enlisted in World War 2, it’s obvious the two find their way back to one another. Their story will have you sobbing, nonetheless, and no matter how often you’ve seen it, it’s guaranteed to pull a reaction from you. 

Whether you love romances or you’re just getting into this genre, Netflix has no shortage of options to choose from! Love is love, and love is depicted in so many different lenses throughout every film. Next time you have a few hours to spare, check out this list and see what sparks your interest!

Hi Everyone! My name is Carly Perlman and I am a senior here at Temple. I am a Communication Studies Major with interests in brand strategy and journalism. A few facts about myself are that I was born on St. Patty's Day and I dream of working for Disney:)