Wellness

Working Out for the Non-Athletic Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Many people think the only form of exercise is high-intensity, sweaty, and tiring workouts. And while living at school, students may also think the only place to exercise is the gym. However, low intensity workouts are becoming more and more popular. These workouts focus on muscle structure and strength while also focusing on the mind. Unlike high intensity workouts, low intensity does not require a trip to the gym, exercise history, or two hours of your day. 

I used to be a person who hated exercising. The feeling of sweat dripping down my forehead or not being able to catch my breath freaked me out to the point of not wanting to even step foot into a gym. 

When quarantine started, I was left with no movement except short walks in my neighborhood. I could tell that my body was craving more movement. I started looking into low intensity workouts, and liked them so much that I signed up for a $10 monthly subscription. This was so not like me. I went from hating workouts to constantly thinking about the low intensity videos I would do the next day. 

Low intensity provided me with an outlet. It gave me my daily dose of fresh air, movement, and time to focus on myself. For college students like me, low intensity workouts are a must. 

Because of the rising popularity, there are many online videos and classes that focus on low intensity workouts. All that is needed is a yoga mat and a free space. A space as small a bedroom, outdoor patio, or open living room will work. 

High intensity workouts quickly cause people to sweat, crave water, and become short of breath. Low intensity is the opposite and that is why it works for many people without exercise experience. It puts less pressure on the joints, builds muscle, and burns fat. Within a week you will notice many changes, such as feeling stronger and healthier. It also focuses on the mind by including meditation and yoga in the workouts. Low intensity is perfect for building exercise experience. 

Some examples of low intensity workouts are beginner’s yoga, stretching, or even walking. Once a foundation is built, moving onto the more challenging and specific exercises will be easy. There are many online subscriptions and videos available that are cheap, or free, and easily accessible to all.

Although low intensity is sometimes thought of as “easy” or “ineffective,” it helps sculpt muscles and build strength. It can be done almost anywhere at any time. Many people use low intensity as a quick morning workout in the sun to brighten their day, while others will do a before bed yoga/stretching routine to release tension from their joints and calm the mind. Because of the minimal requirements and little time commitment, these workouts are perfect for students who do not have lots of free time or exercise experience. 

Sophia is a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. Her biggest claim to fame is having met one of the blokes from Horrible Histories on the tube once - when she says 'met' she really means she waved awkwardly. She is often found with her head in a book, pen in hand, watching The Office (US, obviously), eating or trying to tame her massive hair. Sophia hopes one to become a publisher so she can read all the books sent her way as her full time job.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!