Culture > News

Why You Should be Watching the Presidential Debates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

In today’s political climate, it is easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of information thrown at us. Coronavirus, climate change, Supreme Court nominations, and so much more are at the front of the news cycle and can cause major crisis fatigue. With that, it is understandable that the presidential debates are one of the last things you may want to watch. However, these debates are a chance to see the candidates in action! They are a super important and insightful as it gives us a look into the candidates’ minds. 

Get Educated on the Issues

I know this is an obvious one, but it is so important! Many of us think we know the major issues from our daily lives; however, it is easy to just look at the big picture of issues without actually knowing a lot about them. Listening to candidates talking about the issues can be insightful as they may bring up new information you do not already know.

Learning more about certain issues can make you realize what issues you actually we all must do our part! 

Spark a New Interest

Listening to the debate could give you new interests you didn’t know about! Listening to passionate candidates may encourage you to get more involved in politics in general or learn more about it. During debates, candidates may bring up new information that piques your interest. After the debate, you may want to do your research due to a new interest that sparked your attention. Also, there are so many different components in politics that there is definitely something that will inspire you to learn more!

Understand Other Perspectives

Let’s face it, everyone always wants to be right. Watching the debates probably won’t change your mind if you are committed to one candidate. However, it is helpful to listen to what the opposing candidate has to say about the issues. Challenging your beliefs is healthy as it allows you to remember your own beliefs and values. During a time of harsh political divide, acknowledging opinions different than your own is vital. 

Get Excited About Your Candidate

For those of you who have decided on who to vote for, presidential debates are still a must-watch event! Watching the candidate you want to vote for during a debate can reconfirm your choices and make you more excited to vote. In turn, it could also inspire you to get more involved with the campaign or advocate for your candidate! When you are more confident about the candidate you support, it gets you excited and energized to vote. This energy could translate into energizing other people in your social circle to vote as well. 

Basically, I want you to go and watch the presidential debates, even if it is just one of them. Everyone should be getting involved in the political process and learning more about the issues of the times. The more people who watch the debates, the more educated and engaged we become as a society!

I am a Junior at Temple University at the College of Liberal Arts. I am an Opinion Writer for Temple's HerCampus, an English major, and a Political Science minor. When I am not in classes or studying, I am either reading or rewatching the Office.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!