Why We Should Care about Temple Athletics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
Temple currently boasts the best team in Philadelphia. Temple football is 7-0, and 

we’re ranked in the top 25 teams in the nation for the first time in 36 years. After 

being bowl eligible last year but not being selected to play in a bowl game, this 

success is extremely satisfying for Temple fans. But some Temple students may still 

be thinking, “Why does it matter?” Not all Temple students care to be in the front 

row of the Cherry Crusade, or tailgate hours before every game – and there is 

absolutely nothing wrong with that! So to those students who would rather hang out 

in their dorms on Saturdays than head down to Lincoln Financial Field, here’s why 

our athletic success should matter to you.

Temple University, as a whole, has been on the rise. Currently at their highest 

ranking ever, the University is ranked no. 115 in the US News Best Colleges. The 

University is also vastly improving their campus. A new library is set to go up by 

2018, Beury Beach will become expanded green space, and other cutting-edge 

construction projects are happening around campus. All of this coincides with 

Temple’s football team getting national attention. The Owl’s have finally cracked the 

college football AP Top 25 Poll, coming in as the 21st team in the nation after weeks 

of missing the cut. 

Temple has been selected as ABC’s primetime game at 8 p.m. on Halloween, this 

Saturday when they face off against Notre Dame.  If the Owls can take down 

conference rival East Carolina this Thursday night, there is a possibility Temple 

could host ESPN’s popular program College Game Day. This program visits a college 

campus and previews the college football games of the day. Temple football has 

never hosted a College Game Day and if the cards play out, it would be a huge 

publicity opportunity for the university. 

An updated campus, a nationally ranked football team, and primetime coverage are 

all ingredients that make up a thriving university. People all over the nation have 

heard of Temple’s rising success. As Temple’s reputation continues to beam on and 

off the field, it makes the students and alumni more prestigious as time goes on.

While Temple’s football team has grabbed most of the attention, other fall sports 

have been preforming at high levels. The Men’s Soccer team currently sits at 9-4-2, 

the Women’s Soccer team have recorded 10 wins, 8 of them on their home field at 

the Ambler Campus. The Volleyball team has also been heating up on the courts. 

Their conference record is 6-2, which puts them second overall in their conference, 

trailing just behind SMU. Looking into the winter season, the Men’s Basketball team 

has some exciting matchups sure to draw big crowds. The Owl’s open up against 

UNC, already ranked #2 in the nation in the USA Today’s preseason rankings. All of 

these are promotional gains for the University. 

Understandably, for some people sports may not be a huge draw. But collegiate 

sports, especially football, have a fan base of millions. And those millions of people 

are seeing the name “Temple University” pop up on their radar. For many of these 

fans, solid football programs can reflect a high-grade university. While there are 

many factors that go into Temple University’s prestige, having great athletic 

programs promote our school’s reputation on national levels. It’s a good time to be a 

Temple Owl. While it’s something that we have always recognized, the rest of the 

country is recognizing it as well.
Maddie McDonald is a Senior Media Studies and Production major at Temple University. Aside from being a staff writer at Her Campus Temple, Maddie is the PR/Community Director for WHIP Temple Student Radio. Maddie is pursuing a job in radio, but enjoys writing about current trends in media, specifically music and sports. In her free time Maddie enjoys playing basketball, tweeting, and perfecting her spotify playlists.  She is also a writing intern for Trebel Music.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.