Why We Should All Be More Like Sex and the City’s Samantha Jones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

We could all take a thing or two from her book.

HBO’s classic show Sex and the City is a very defining and formative show in every woman’s life. It teaches the importance of friendship, girl power, and independence –all great values for young women everywhere to hold true to while they navigate the obstacle course of life: men, romance, work, friendship, and sex. The show follows four dynamic and distinct female characters through life in New York City: Carrie Bradshaw, Charlotte York, Miranda Hobbes, and Samantha Jones. All of these characters are lovable in their own way, and all bring something important to the table.

While I always considered myself to be a “Carrie,” I am striving to live life with the qualities of Samantha Jones. Though Samantha’s character is known for being the sexual comedic relief, there is more to her than sex, and there’s a power in her sexual endeavors too. Here’s why we could all learn a thing or two from Ms. Samantha Jones:

She’s Not Afraid to Be Herself

Samantha is bold. She has some fire ensembles, and a fiery personality to match. She has a strong confidence that nobody can tear down. I think we would all benefit from being more confident about ourselves and our worth, and loving ourselves a whole lot more. So, wear that new outfit out, try a new hairstyle, or post that Instagram photo. This is your sign to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks about you or may be thinking. As Samantha says, “If I worried what every b*tch in New York was saying about me, I’d never leave the house.”

She Tells it Like it Is

If you need an honest friend that will “give it to you straight,” it’s someone like Samantha. She isn’t afraid to say what’s on her mind, and guides her friends with her helpful and insightful life advice; even if it is a bit blunt. Maybe you identify with being a people pleaser or a “yes” person, where you feel bad telling others how you feel or what’s on your mind. It’s time to start being more assertive in expressing what is best for you, like Samantha. 

She Puts Herself First

In the words of a very notable Samantha Jones quote: “I love you, but I love me more.” Yes, caring about others is very important. Nobody likes a selfish person. However, there is a fine line between selfish and self care. If something or someone isn’t good for you, it’s okay to lay down a boundary and care for yourself. Know your worth, take a breath, and show some compassion for yourself. 

She’s an Ambitious Boss Babe

As the owner and head of her own PR agency, Samantha is a powerful boss babe! She is assertive, ambitious, and knows how to get the job done. It’s great to be able to have a list of female role models to look up to and be inspired by. Samantha’s work ethic and the success of her company within the show are definitely an inspiration to all women everywhere.

She’s Confident In Her Sexuality

Samantha never beats around the bush while talking about anything regarding sex and sexuality. Women should not have to feel shame for being confident in their sexuality and talking about sex. Be confident in who you are, in your body, and in your life!

She’s a Great Friend

Everybody needs a great friend who is there to support them, love them, and help them grow. Samantha is somebody who always has her friends’ backs. While we all could use a supportive and loving friend, make sure you are bringing that same energy to your own friendships and other relationships– especially your relationship with yourself. 

Even if you aren’t the biggest Sex and the City fan, there are a lot of key takeaways from Samantha’s character. I hope these main points help you to live the life you want and find a greater confidence and strength within yourself. Oh, and I definitely recommend watching SATC if you haven’t already! 

Brynne is a senior Advertising major at Temple University concentrating in Copywriting and Art Direction. She is interested in all things fashion, music, romance, and art. When she is not writing for Her Campus, you can find Brynne creating her billionth Spotify playlist, frequenting the nearest spot selling iced coffee and bagels and lox, or online shopping.