Style

Why Christian Siriano’s plus size representation matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As a fashion lover and a plus size woman, I never see myself represented in the fashion industry, especially in magazines, advertisements and on the red carpet. As many plus size women have risen in fame over the past years, they have opened up about their struggles of being dressed for award shows due to the lack of extended sizes in designer clothing. Christian Siriano, who rose to fashion fame by winning season four of Project Runway has pledged to create beautiful clothes for every size. As his brand has grown in popularity, Siriano has been one of the major designers to dress plus size celebrities on the red carpet. And to that I say “thank you, Christian Siriano.”

I’ve always looked different than all of the other girls. Being plus sized, I’ve grown up in a world where it is difficult to even consider myself beautiful because of my size and weight and I have struggled with accepting my appearance for my entire life. With this, shopping and finding clothes in my size that I feel comfortable and confident in is something that was difficult for me as a young girl and continues to be a struggle today. Being a fashion lover has influenced this struggle due to the lack of representation and respect towards plus sized women in the fashion industry. 

With stars like Lizzo on the rise, who embrace their size and emphasize its beauty, the fashion industry is in need of a makeover. I can’t even shop in the mall because my size is not on the racks. I know it, Lizzo knows it, and Christian Siriano — known as the designer for every woman — is one of the first to begin this necessary change in fashion. He has dressed nearly every powerful plus size woman in the media, from Lizzo to Ashley Graham to Whoppi Goldberg. He has extended his line to dress women of all sizes, and it’s nearly tripled his business. He puts an emphasis on his desire to make women feel beautiful and represented. 

I can’t help but think how amazing it would have been to see Christian Siriano’s designs as a young girl struggling with her confidence and self-love. Not only are these beautiful women walking the red carpet and being praised for their amazing accomplishments, they’re looking amazing while doing it! They’re showing the world that being plus size is beautiful. That is something that I really needed to hear growing up. 

Today, I am a lover of fashion who loves to experiment with the latest trends, even if society says I’m “too fat” to pull it off. I feel encouraged that designers like Christian Siriano have begun to give the fashion industry a new and more inclusive makeover. I am excited to see how the world of plus size fashion grows in the upcoming years, all thanks to amazing designers like Christian Siriano. 

Thank you, Christian Siriano, for allowing young women to grow up seeing themselves represented. Thank you, Christian Siriano, for creating garments that allow women of every size to feel beautiful. Thank you, Christian Siriano, for showing me and many others that fashion is for everyone, no matter your size or shape.

Hi, I'm Molly Reinhard and I'm currently a Communication Studies major at Temple University's Klein College of Media and Communication.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.