This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s always exciting to shop for presents for friends and family. Malls and stores are usually packed with people but this year is different. Nobody expected to spend this year in a global pandemic. This pandemic has put stress on us physically, mentally, and financially. It can also make it harder for shopping and getting presents for your loved ones; especially, as a college student where money can be a little tight. There’s still ways to get presents safely and affordably.

Shop Small

This year more than ever is the time to support small businesses. The pandemic hit them harder than ever, leaving many businesses struggling financially and threatening to close. Small businesses offer a personable experience that corporations can’t offer. You can get a unique gift that you wouldn’t usually find at the mall. Small businesses also give you a better chance of customizing and personalizing your items. It is also nice to offer support to a fellow neighbor or entrepreneur and help their business grow. One place to find a sea of entrepreneurial shops is Etsy. Etsy is an ecommerce platform filled with people selling handmade and vintage items. They offer a fair range of items including home decor, art, jewelry, clothing, and now even face masks. Instagram is also a great platform to find small businesses to support. It is also easy to shop because there is a shop tap on the app and many businesses have made it accessible to buy directly through the app. You can also find articles with lists of small businesses to support and shop through their website. You can shop online from the safety of your home. 

One Stop Shop

If small businesses are not your thing, there is always the option of the “everything store”. Amazon has everything for your gift giving needs. This is a great option for wanting to get all of your shopping done in one place since Amazon is literally the home to everything known to man. It also has pretty quick shipping, which comes in handy for last minute purchases. Amazon prices are also affordable and there’s always a chance to catch a sale. You can also gift Amazon products such as the Fire TV Stick, Echo, Kindle and more. If you don’t know exactly what to give someone, there is always the option of an Amazon gift card. They will be able to go through the endless items to potentially buy. Also with Whole Foods and Amazon Fresh you can give someone with all the snacks they desire as a cute gift basket. If you are into DIYing, Amazon offers many arts and crafts supplies to make gifts on your own. 

Shop Black Owned

The Black Lives Matter movement has brought a lot of attention to the black community. This year has also brought the push to support black business. The same as supporting small businesses, these businesses have been struggling due to the pandemic and need support as well. Supporting these businesses will bring them the recognition and visibility they need in society and the economy. It additionally helps the racial wealth gap seen in today’s economy and supports black entrepreneurs. Doing your holiday shopping through black businesses is a great way to support them. It also gives you gifts that are unique and made with care. The Official Black Wall Street and The Nile List are great resources to finding black businesses in multiple industries. 

Shop Sustainably

Climate change is another important issue we are currently facing. Consumerism is definitely not that helpful for the planet. If we continue to shop, we should make the effort to shop more sustainably. This includes supporting sustainable businesses, buying secondhand, DIYing, and buying eco-friendly gifts. Thrifting is a great way to find some quirky and vintage pieces. Since in person shopping can be more difficult, there are many online options like ThredUp, Thrifted, Poshmark and Depop. Making gifts with items you have at home or with a quick purchase of a crafts kit is also a great sustainable option. It is also more personable since you made it by hand. You can also cook or bake as a way of gift giving. Nobody would turn down a batch of freshly baked cookies. Republic of Green offers a green business directory to consider if DIYing and baking are not your forte. 

This year is filled with many differences, but there should still be the chance to buy great gifts for your loved ones. Online shopping from any of these choices can give you the chance of finding some great presents. 

Lindsay is currently a senior international business major at Temple University. She loves traveling, creative writing, painting, and baking.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!