This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It is almost that time again, where designers and celebrities from around the world come together in New York at the Metropolitan Museum of Art for one of the most iconic nights for fashion, The Met Gala. 

This year’s event will be hosted by none other than Dua Lipa, Penélope Cruz, Michaela Coel, and Roger Federer. We’ve seen several impressive outfits from Lipa as she wrapped up her Future Nostalgia tour in November. It should be exciting to see how she and the rest interpret this year’s theme which is entitled “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty,” in honor of the German fashion designer who passed away February 2019.  

The exhibit will display approximately 150 of Karl Lagerfeld’s most remarkable outfits across his sixty-year career. These designs are ones he created while collaborating with well-known brands such as Chanel, Fendi, Balmain, Patou, Chloé, and his own eponymous label.  

This year’s outfits should be interesting, considering the attendees must follow the specific dress code “In honor of Karl” and find ways to interpret the theme in a way that effectively salutes the icon. Whereas last year, the theme “Gilded Glamour” paid homage to the Gilded Age in New York.  

One common suggestion for attendees is to pull out an archival look from one of Lagerfeld’s labels he led, however, let’s hope we don’t see another Kim Kardashian/Marilyn Monroe incident. They could also take a more modern-day approach to the theme and wear newer pieces from Chanel or Fendi.  

Now, speaking of attendees, the guest list hasn’t been confirmed, but we should expect to see longtime Chanel ambassadors Margot Robbie, Lily-Rose Depp, Kristen Stewart, and Margaret Qualley. Additionally, the entire Kardashian–Jenner family is likely to attend, along with the typical A-listers, Blake Lively, Hailey Bieber, Rihanna, the Hadids, Timothée Chalamet, and Ryan Reynolds. 

I am praying for the return of Zendaya, considering she’s opted out of the event for the last two years.  

If we look back on Lagerfeld’s designs, we’ll find that he was known for his tweed suits, couture wedding gowns, and pieces with patterns, beads, and fur.  

One iconic look I would love to see designers pull inspiration from is the Guitar Dress. This is a 1983 French dress with a sequined guitar design made for Chloé. I could see any of the Chanel ambassadors slaying this look. 

Beyonce and Zendaya always show up looking stunning. I would love for their designers to pull inspiration from Lagerfeld’s last runway show in 2019 which highlighted his Egyptian-inspired Chanel Metiers D’ Art collection. One dress worn by Janelle Monáe would suit them both very well.  

There are also plenty of ruffled and puffed dresses from the Chanel Spring 2017 Haute Couture show, which I believe would perfectly compliment some of the younger attendees such as Lily Reinhart, Lily Rose Depp, and Billie Eilish. On the other hand, I could envision Cara Delevingne and Kristen Stewart wearing beautiful printed or beaded tweed suits.  

Let the anticipation and excitement begin as we await the biggest event in fashion history. 

Maddie is a junior at Temple University double majoring in Communication and Social Influence and Journalism. She currently serves as the co-events coordinator for Her Campus at Temple University where she helps organize and execute fun get-togethers for staff writers. Prior to becoming an events coordinator, Maddie was a fashion and beauty staff writer where she wrote outfit reviews and gave style advice. She is currently a junior at Temple double majoring in Communication and Social Influence and Journalism. Outside of Her Campus, Maddie writes for a variety of news outlets. She is a freelance writer for The Temple News, Temple University's independent student-run paper where she writes for the opinion section. Maddie recently became a senior reporter for The Temple Templar, Temple University's independent student-run yearbook where she writes about students, campus life, and events. She also writes for Pleaser, an online concert and music magazine and Refine, an online women’s blog. In her free time, she enjoys exploring the city, going to concerts, thrifting, and journaling.