Transitioning Your Wardrobe: Summer to Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

With classes beginning and summer slowly fading away, stopping yourself from letting leggings and t-shirts take the place of shorts and tank tops is going to be a trying task. Some summer items are meant to stay behind with the heat, but there are some pieces that can stand the test of time in order to be paired with your favorite fall classics that are just dying to get out of your dresser.

The loose, relaxed fit of a boyfriend jean has become a summer staple. Usually shown in a light wash, you often see celebrities sporting these comfortable yet chic bottoms. They are easy to pair with a t-shirt and fun wedges to create a laid-back and cool feel but you can also dress them up with heels. As the temperatures drop and the wind picks up, try pairing boyfriend jeans with cute socks and booties. The cuffed ankles on most styles of boyfriend jeans will let the socks peek out of your booties, adding flair to your outfit while keeping your ankles warm. For cute socks, booties, and boyfriend jeans check out Madewell’s selection.

Another summer staple is the classic sundress. In the summer a cute sundress is the perfect outfit for any day because it will consistently keep you cool and fresh without letting the sun entirely melt you. To transition this piece to the fall, try pairing it with a bulky sweater or cardigan. Pullover sweaters are a great transition piece because you can layer them depending on temperatures throughout the day and throughout your classes. Cardigans on the other hand will allow necklines and any upper body detail to be shown while keeping your arms free of shivers.

Unfortunately, there is no way to transition sandals or flip-flops into the autumn season (If you can find a way, please leave it in the comments section below!) Luckily, boots are no longer drab and boring and are just as fun as sandals. The new trend of wedged booties with cutouts are a simple way to ease your ensemble into the fall.

There’s plenty of other ways to incorporate your summer articles into a fall outfit. If none of these suggestions fit your personal style try layering a chambray shirt on top of a tank top, or patterned tights underneath cutoff shorts matched with combat boots. No matter what your style, there is a way to give your summer staples a life in the fall.