This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Two years after Toy Story 4 concluded its stories of our infamous toy clan, a new trailer has dropped featuring our beloved character Buzz Lightyear as he embarks on a new adventure. Learn more about what’s to come and why this could be a really interesting new development.

SPOILER WARNING: Toy Story 4 & Lightyear Trailer

Toy Story, a beloved childhood movie that has spanned at least two generations at this point, ended with its protagonist leaving the gang, entirely, and becoming a “lost toy.” Fans were sad to see the group split but determined that, as an ending, it was probably for the best. And yet… it seems that wasn’t quite the end of the tale. 

2022 is seeing a new perspective in the spotlight: Buzz Lightyear — the headstrong and occasionally delusional astronaut that many of us would deem the second protagonist in the series. 

This was definitely unexpected, to say the least. I figured they’d retired this story considering the  four successful movies made but I guess not! And from the looks of the teaser, it looks like it will be another great adventure, for sure!

Now let’s talk about some of the highlights from the teaser. What’s been gathered so far is that the new movie title is Lightyear and from the trailer, there’ll definitely be a lot of action as Buzz is actually (finally) going into space. So it seems like we might not be seeing other characters in this film at all – or as much – which, frankly, isn’t so much a big deal to me; I’m excited for what’s to come from this new pov. 

One thing that caught my eye, besides the new animation style, is that the characters in this world are actual people instead of toys coming to life. This could be an interesting development if they do go down this route for the entire movie because it separates the movie away from the previous — giving us something new and refreshing. 

This new turn will not only give us an exciting adventure to go on but will also give more depth to Buzz’s character, as a whole. Especially if they make references relating to the other movies.  

The movie also seems like it’ll finally touch base on how Buzz Lightyear came to be, in the first place, and life before that iconic moment. I think this could be really interesting and could help the audience understand why he was such a popular toy. Although I think this movie has potential, some people believe that it is “unnecessary” or that it’ll ruin the last 4 movies. 

I would have to disagree. At first, I was skeptical because sometimes spin offs do not hold their weight, but after the teaser I am confident it could be a big hit! Plus Chris Evans voices him in this movie and that is quite promising. 

Overall, I would love to see a reunion with the other characters – maybe at the end or something like that – just for the feels. But I guess we’ll just have to watch and find out! Time to suit up for 2022 as we prepare to embark on a new, hopefully-grand adventure!

Currently, a junior at Temple University and apart of the Arts and entertainment section. i love books, fashion, movies, and naps, and a hardcore reality tv fanfic. A lover of aesthetically pleasing things, pink, and all things luxurious.