Career

Top Five Side Hustles for the Busy College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As full-time students at Temple University, our academic schedules are anything but easy. On top of that, many students take up part-time jobs on and off campus — yet, still, don’t feel as though they raking in enough money to support themselves at TU.

Trust me, I know the feeling. I was in the same boat last semester between being a commuter, taking six classes, being part of multiple student organizations and juggling an internship. I simply didn’t have the time to get a full-time job to add to my already full plate of things to do. I didn’t want to ask my family for cash, so I searched for part-time jobs. After a month of rejections, I ended up testing out a bunch of apps and even got a job. However, I know that not everyone is ready to take the responsibility of a job on top of all of their other responsibilities — and so here are five alternative ways to make that bread.

1. Ibotta – Instant Cash Back

This app is one I check on the daily, since I know there’s always a chance for an extra payday. The way the app works is simple — you download it, create a account, and then every time you go shopping, you upload your receipt and get cash back as high as the half of what you originally paid. You can use it for Shoprite, Amazon and even Uber. Isn’t that neat?

2. Achievement – Make money while walking

This is another great app if you’re athletic or frequently walk around campus. You can leave this app on in the background, and after 10K steps, you can make $10. This was perfect since I’m the type who doesn’t exercise but walks all over campus from class to the train station.

3. Long Game – Make money playing games

I know there are tons of games that you can earn money on, but this one is great since you play cute games while getting the chance to earn big prizes.

4. Twine – Investing for the future

You know that summer road trip you’ve been planning for months? Yeah, the one you’ve been meaning to save up for, but somehow only have about $30 in your bank account for. Twine is the app that can help you start saving for real.

5. Studysoup – Earn extra $$$ while helping your fellow classmates

Studysoup is a great job to have because it’s made for college kids — all you have to do is upload your class notes and then you’re golden. Studysoup has what they call “Elite Notetakers,” which are regular students whose job is to upload the notes they have been taking in class and sharing them to their classmates via Canvas. It’s great since you’re getting paid for something you’re already doing in class anyway. Did I forget to mention that you can be making $25 right out the gate just for signing up?  The position is super flexible and perfect for those who have limited time.

P.S. they give bonuses at the end of the semester if you keep uploading notes on your account.

I hope this gave you an idea of other ways to earn some cash without sacrificing your time nor energy outside of school. Good luck job hunting. By this summer, let’s make an oath to be a little richer!