The Top 5 Most Stylish Women in Today’s American Politics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

With the passing of First Lady Nancy Reagan earlier this year, we said goodbye to another political fashion icon. Now with women dominating legislature and positions of power more than ever, we are changing history in so many ways—including the fashion world. And yes, fashion plays a huge role as it is considered a strong representation of culture and politics all around the world. In today’s American politics, we can see how styles have transcended through time. We’ve also see how important it is for women politicians to know how to wear the right thing at the right time—considering it’s something that’s always subject to criticism. Here are five of the most stylish ladies currently killin’ it in the political fashion scene:

1.) Michelle Obama

As America’s sweetheart, our current—yet soon to be former—First Lady has graced the White House with amazing style over the past eight years. Although some of her fashion choices stirred up political criticism amongst famous fashion designers and critics, her consistent presence of beauty and grace overshadows any negativity she’s ever faced. From her beautiful ball gowns and cute cocktail dresses to her motherly—yet model-like—casual outfits that accentuate her long, lean figure, First Lady Obama has been killin’ it for a while now. We can only hope to see her in office again one day. 

2.) Condoleezza Rice

As an iconic woman in political history, Condoleezza Rice is at the top of the list for most stylish politicians. Her personal style embodies a nature of class and elegance with a bit of edge. Not only has she changed history by becoming the first black woman to serve as the United States’ national security advisor, as well as the first black woman to serve as the U.S Secretary of State, she has also impacted the political fashion world with her fearless outfit choices. From her dark and charcoal grey Armani pantsuits, to her elegant short dresses and “power pearls,” her styles range from a strong, combat-like, rock star look to a simple, sophisticated and chic look. One of her most famous and talked-about outfits was the all-black ensemble she wore in 2005 to Wiesbaden Army Airfield in Germany. She arrived in a Matrix-style, above-the-knee skirt, knee-high boots and long black coat with gold buttons down the center. Despite the criticism during the time, a strong, independent woman like Rice doesn’t need to worry about what any haters say because she will forever go down in history as both a political and fashion icon. 

3.) Wendy Davis

Another fearless woman in the political fashion world is Democratic politician, lawyer and southern belle, Wendy Davis, who served as Texas Senate from 2009-2015. As a native of Fort Worth, Texas, she represented District 10 in the Texas Senate and previously served on the Fort Worth City Council. As a long-time feminist and women’s rights activist, she has contributed to the movement throughout her career while incorporating fashion statements. Her most notorious moment was during the 11-hour standoff against a Texas abortion bill in 2013. She wore pink running shoes with her normal business attire and it made headlines for days. Many reported and speculated that the pink shoes were a representation of the feminism and breakthrough she was fighting for. Although she ultimately lost that battle, she currently continues the fight towards feminism and remains another one of the most stylish female politicians.  

4.) Huma Abedin

As the current vice chairwoman of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign, Huma Abedin is another strong woman in a powerful role who is simultaneously killing the fashion scene. Jumpstarting her political career as a White House intern and journalist, she worked behind Hillary Clinton as an aide and personal advisor since the early years of the Clinton campaign in New York. At 40 years old, Abedin looks like she’s in her 20s and rocks some adorable outfits that keep her style professional and classy yet young and trendy. Her signature red lipstick lights up her giant, gorgeous, pearly-white smile. What I love most about Abedin is her collection of beautiful dresses. She always attends upscale events in beautifully-designed dresses and gowns with various patterns like floral, lace and satin. She also wears adorable, casual dresses with stylish matching belts. She is the true definition of a beauty queen—in the political fashion world at least.  

5.) Young Hillary Clinton (Hillary Rodham)

Undoubtedly most of us really don’t want Hillary Clinton’s infamous pantsuits to make the list, but inevitably, we must pay homage to young Hillary and her early years of iconic fashion. Among her mainstream fame, over the years she gained recognition in the political fashion world across a variety of outlets that praised her right up alongside other icons like Jackie Kennedy, Nancy Reagan and Michelle Obama. Her evolution of fashion has surely changed from the stylish, hippie-looking babe she once was and it has emerged into something not so hot, but she has definitely come a long way. Let’s just say regardless of popular opinion, her role in political fashion could potentially be extremely important in the near future depending on how this election goes. Only time will tell. 

Alexa Zizzi

Temple '17

Alexa currently serves as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus Media. She is a journalism graduate from Temple University with a love for writing and passion for adventure. She enjoys dancing, traveling, and laying on the beach rather than taking long walks on it. Her work has been published in Her Campus Temple, Philadelphia Magazine, The Temple News, Fourteenth Street Magazine, Philadelphia Neighborhoods and The Odyssey Online.
Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.