Top 10 Events in Philadelphia During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Philadelphia hosts numerous joyous events around the city that are perfect for getting into the holiday spirit. No matter what you celebrate, Philly has something for everyone in the City of Brotherly Love.

Here are just some exciting upcoming events that you can attend in Philadelphia this upcoming holiday season.

Winter at Dilworth Park

Dilworth Park offers a variety of activities during the most wonderful time of the year. From ice skating at Rothman Orthopaedics Ice Rink and Cabin (November 8  – February 23), to colorful light shows by the Deck the Hall Light Show (November 25 – January 1), and even shopping at the Made in Philadelphia Holiday Market (November 23 – January 1), the holiday fun never stops at Dilworth Park! For those who want a more peaceful activity, you can grab a hot chocolate and walk down Wintergarden that is filled with winter plants and lights (November 8 – February 23). You are guaranteed to find fun of all sorts at Dilworth Park this season!

Christmas Village in Philadelphia

Christmas Village is back for its twelfth year to give visitors another year full of exciting finds and last-minute holiday gifts (November 28 – December 24). In the style of a traditional German Christmas Market, this event in LOVE Park features 80 local and international vendors that sell delicious holiday treats, decorations and potential presents! Christmas Village is an event you have to check out this season if you want to grab a bite or need ideas for stocking stuffers!

Franklin Square Holiday Festival 

The free annual light show at Franklin Square is a must-see during the holiday season (November 14 – December 31)! The Electrical Spectacle Holiday Light Show takes place daily and lights up the entire square with joy. Beyond this, you can ride the holiday train and carousel, play mini-golf, and enjoy tasty food from local vendors. These are plenty of reasons why you definitely need to visit Franklin Square soon!

Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest

This is definitely a favorite of many Philadelphians, and for good reasons (November 29 – March 8). When you’re not inside the lodge enjoying food from places such as Chickies & Pete’s, you can go outside and ice skate in the rink. To finish off your fun, you can sit by the fire pit and enjoy the holiday energy that radiates off this festival. This popular event is surely worth a visit during your holiday adventures!

“The Nutcracker” at the Academy of Music

You can’t think of the holidays without “The Nutcracker” coming to mind. The Pennsylvania Ballet makes a comeback for the city’s annual tradition of performing the popular ballet (December 6-31). For those who cherish Philadelphia’s traditions, this event is just for you!

Macy’s Christmas Light Show

This is a tradition that dates back to 1956 and still remains as a popular event each year in Philadelphia. The famous light show that displays over 100,000 lights is shown every two hours (November 29 – December 31). After the show, you can visit the second floor and see Dickens Village where “A Christmas Carol” is told through animatronics. This event is a huge part of Philadelphia’s history and is worth seeing for yourself!

The Miracle on South 13th Street

Have you ever seen a block that was completely full of Christmas decorations? Well, South 13th Street will put any other street to shame, as they completely go above and beyond with extraordinary decorations and light up the entire block! From November 30  – January 1, you can see a variety of houses that range from simple decorations to over-the-top decorations throughout the one block. This is also a great spot for photo-ops for those of you who need festive pictures for your feeds! I would definitely check out this spot to appreciate other Philadelphians and their efforts to display their holiday spirits. 

“Luminature” at the Philadelphia Zoo

This is a brand-new event that is coming to Philadelphia for the first time at the Philadelphia Zoo from November 20 – January 5. This night time event transforms the zoo into a winter wonderland with giant illuminated plants and animals, such as penguins and polar bears, as well as a 25-foot tree made of illuminated plastic flamingos! Each season also gets its own celebration and there is a total of 12 interactive light experiences. Beyond the show, visitors can also enjoy live performances and hot beverages. This will surely be a popular site to see this season!

Q102 Jingle Ball

The Jingle Ball concert is back this year at the Wells Fargo Center with an amazing line up! On December 11, Niall Horan, Halsey, 5 Seconds of Summer, Lizzo, Lewis Capaldi, Monsta X and Why Don’t We, will be rocking the stage! This is certainly a holiday show you cannot miss this season!

Philly Sporting Events

There are some exciting Philadelphia sports games happening this season that you have to watch! Whether you’re a die-hard football fan for the Philadelphia Eagles or more of a basketball type of gal (go 76ers!), there are so many sporting events that you can check out this season!

Overall, there is absolutely something to do for everyone during the holiday season in Philadelphia. Regardless of what you celebrate, you are destined to find fun in the city that is right up your alley during the most wonderful time of the year! Happy holidays, Owls!

Kayla is currently a Communication Studies major at Temple University who enjoys writing to spread awareness and positivity.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.