Wellness

TikTok Wellness Trends: Love It or Skip It?               

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Hello 2024! Everyone knows the saying “new year, new me” where we all come together and conjure up a grand list filled with our resolutions for the year. However, that list dwindles away as the month goes by and our new lifestyle quickly becomes obsolete. No one really has a proper explanation on why a good amount of people do not live up to their goals, but maybe TikTok has a solution.  

I, like most people, have a serious social media addiction. I know, it is a very serious problem. But, the idea of cutting down my screen time will never make its way onto my resolutions list. My thumbs are glued to my phone screen every second of the day, as I scroll through my TikTok “For You” page in search of nothing.  

Yet, during my absent-minded social media digest hours, I did notice the amount of sponsored content was on my timeline.  

Whether it was gym motivation guides for newcomers, healthy food recommendations, or the classic outfit of the day (ootd), they all had the same thing in common: product placement. I kept on seeing so many different products constantly advertised to consumers as a way to peak our interests.  

Brands such as Stanley, Bloom Nutrition, and Moon Juice, are taking social media by storm with their marketing tactics. These content creators with huge audiences are being endorsed by said brands and then pushing the products more towards the public eye which cause a trickle-down effect. Consumers see the product, research it a little bit more on TikTok, buy the product, and then recommend it to others. This ultimately causes a cyclical effect. 

It piqued my curiosity, and I decided to try these top-rated brands, to see if TikTok trends are worth the investment, or something you can keep scrolling past.  

Everyone that has any form of social media presence knows about the infamous Stanley cup craze. You might be wondering what is so special about a 40-ounce stainless steel tumbler? I too asked myself that question a billion times and realized the obvious.  

Not only is it marketed to be vacuum insulated to prevent leakage and keep your water cold for many hours, but it is also aesthetically pleasing. The brand comes in a range of assorted colors such as baby pink, lavender, black, and they even come out with limited edition versions. No matter what appeals to you specifically, the brand has a color to match every style.  

The one of the downsides is the price of the bottle, which retails at $45 on the Stanley website, per 40-ounce tumbler. I cringed internally while inserting my card at Target. Deep down, I was willing to gaslight myself into loving the product for the amount spent. I will say, the product is worth the money and encouraged me to drink more water daily. It kept my ice water chilled for days and was a cute accessory that I could not put down.  

Although I love my Stanley, there is a lack of leak protection. The brand heavily promotes the cup as leak proof, beneficial for people who knock it over. Yet, due to the straw not being covered, a lot of the contents inside will spill out. I would recommend buying a straw cover to plug it up and prevent a possible spill.  

Another brand you cannot seem to escape during late-night browsing would be Bloom Nutrition. Bloom Nutrition is a superfood supplement that is beneficial for gut health, energy, and digestion. At the beginning, it was advertised for purchase solely on their website, but with the increase in sales and popularity, it is more accessible and can now also be found at Target. I figured if it is that popular, then I might as well try it out for myself. 

I will say I have noticed a common theme among these booming products, and that is how expensive everything is.  

A container with twenty-five servings of the superfood is retailed at around thirty dollars which could break the bank, especially if this is a daily-use supplement. However, among tasting and testing the greens, I did notice a difference with my morning bloating.  

I applaud the brand for their consistent brand campaigning and making people more aware of the benefits of daily probiotics and gut healthcare. Unfortunately, I do feel that there are cheaper alternatives such as superfood gummies or probiotics pills.  

It is difficult to figure out what works best for you, when it comes to focusing more on your wellness goals. It is also challenging to see which products are worth the commitment. Through my usage of these products, I have learned that research is key and it’s all about trial and error. It is okay to not buy every trending product because many of the products have great alternatives that might work better for your lifestyle.  

Ashley Green

Temple '25

Hey everyone, my name is Ashley Green. Currently, I am a junior at Temple University with a major in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. I am also a staff writer for the Her Campus Temple University health section and will dive more into focusing on how our mental health and wellness should be addressed in our everyday lifestyle. In my free time, I love binge watching horror movies and trying to tackle my lengthy TBR book collection.