This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

TikTok has not just been an outlet for entertainment, but also a platform for expressing oneself through fashion. Whether you are on “alt TikTok” or (my personal favorite) “Twilight TikTok,” you can always find new fashion trends and looks from creators. While many of these trends incorporate multiple elements, just adding in a few things here and there to your everyday look can help elevate your style. I will be covering some of the more prominent trends on the app, but there are so many more out there! I encourage everyone to go out and find inspiration wherever possible.

E-girl

One of the first trends I ever came across when I downloaded the app is the “e-girl,” which means “electronic girl.” This trend is categorized by winged eyeliner, lots of blush, split colored hair, striped long sleeves, chain necklaces, and band tees. Celebrities that embody this look include Billie Eilish and Kat from Euphoria, played by Barbie Ferrereira. “E-girl” looks can be alluring and edgy, or casual and cool. Some elements that are worth trying are two-toned hair colors, chains, corsets over t-shirts, baggy band shirts, and even playing with eyeliner more. While all of these incorporated may be too much for someone not used to this kind of style, dressing like an “e-girl” can be empowering, strong, and unique.

Soft girl

If you browse your “FYP,” (For Your Page) another very popular trend is the “soft girl.” This aesthetic encompasses very cute and pastel colored clothing, and can basically be summed up by the pleading face emoji. This is called “soft girl” because of the “soft” appearance, as there are no “harsh” colors or cuts within the clothing. For makeup and hair, it is rather simple and looks effortless with subtle hints of pastels found in hair accessories, eyeshadow and blush. This look is very feminine with lots of dresses, skirts, oversized sweaters, flowers, and shades of pink. This trend can be seen in Melanie Martinez, who also incorporates some “e-girl” trends in her style such as the split colored hair. While this look may come off as too youthful, you should definitely try at least some elements of it. Some things that are key with “soft girls” are lip gloss, pastels, mini skirts, soft clothing, natural/minimal makeup, and minimalistic jewelry.

Cottagecore

One of my personal favorite trends I have come across on TikTok would have to be “cottagecore.” This is a pretty trend that can also appear very natural. The color tones in this trend are very muted and mostly earth colors such as tans, yellows, whites, and browns. Much of this aesthetic comes from the idea of living in a cottage and being away from the “real world” to just be one with nature. Much of “cottagecore” is very loose-fitting or flowy and mostly consists of dresses or overalls. While this trend is driven mostly by dresses, another common trend is wearing puffy sleeves, flowy skirts, and an accentuation on the waist. This trend is very feminine while not incorporating stereotypical feminine colors such as pink. The “Cottagecore” trend can be seen on Taylor Swift recently, who sports very natural makeup, simple and loose hairstyles, and flowy clothing. While most of us do not live on farms or in cottages, this look can be achieved without coming across as a farmer. This trend focuses on simplicity and the beauty of nature, and can be achieved through silk scarf headpieces, straw-textured bags, natural colored clothing, and very flowy but fitted dresses.

Lounge

Finally, I feel the most important fashion trend to come out of 2020 is loungewear. While this has become much more acceptable in times where we are all stuck at home, there are multiple ways to elevate the look. To start off, there are many different types of lounge outfits depending on what you want to go for. You can have a more “streetwear” look that is edgy and cool, or you can have a more sophisticated look that is polished and comfortable. Most lounge outfits are monochrome with a sweatshirt and sweatpants. Purses, bags and jewelry are used to make the outfit look more put together than just wearing a loungewear set. For an edgier look, many incorporate band tees with thick chain necklaces and some white sneakers. Out of all the trends, loungewear is the most important for 2020. With everyone social distancing and using zoom as a main source of communication, being able to amplify your loungewear can be a very useful trend.

While TikTok may be seen as a kids app to get some laughs and waste some time, there is much more than people think. People go on there to express themselves in many different ways, especially by using fashion as an outlet of expression. Some of the fashion aesthetics from TikTok may seem “costume-y,” but adding even a couple statement pieces from these trends may elevate your style, and can open your mind to other trends that you would have never seen before. However, while I only covered four of my favorite and most popular trends from TikTok, I encourage you to download the app and discover some more trends for yourself!

I'm a Senior at Temple University studying Biology. I'm originally from Bucks County, PA which is "right outside of Philly". I love to play sports, paint, and do makeup in my free time.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!