#ThrowBackThursday: Bastille at the Liacouras Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It was nearly impossible to make it through summer without hearing “Pompeii” by the British rock band, Bastille about a jillion times. You probably found yourself humming along to the beat even when it wasn’t blaring through your car speakers. And I have great news for you, as good as that song is: Bastille is even better.

Are you skeptical? So was I. In October, the band kicked off their tour at The Liacouras Center. My friends were big fans and asked if I wanted to join them as a way to have some fun amidst our hectic schedules and midterms. I was torn because I had only heard of “Pompeii,” but decided to go because as Hilary Duff would say, “Why not?”

So there we were in our 200-level seats waiting for this British band that named themselves after the French holiday, Bastille Day after their singer-songwriter, Dan Smith. The energy was great and the center was pretty much packed which was impressive since it was their first show. Once they began, they played a number of upbeat songs mixed with ballads. My favorites being “The Things We Lost In The Fire” and their cover, “No Angels.”

To make the show even better Dan ran off stage through the crowd with his signature style of hood up and head down. In fact at a later show he did the same thing and a fan took it upon herself to wrap her arms around him and kiss him firmly on the cheek. His response? To grin and keep singing. How adorable is that?

After the concert my friends and I met his opening band, Grizfolk and waited patiently (in the rain I might add) to meet Bastille. Unfortunately we missed them, but did not miss the storm that decided to pour down on us the moment we stepped outside. Despite the drenched hair and shivering bodies, I would not have changed one minute of it because something strange happened that night; I became a Bastille fan. I’m not sure if it was the honesty of the lyrics, the original sound or the group of British men singing to me, but I loved every second if the concert. I thanked my friends for my bringing me along and savored the feeling of hearing new music for the first time played live.

So please, next time you’re bored of Top 40 or looking for some new music, take some time out of your day to check out my new friends, Bastille.  

Photography by: Shaun Luberski

Paulina is the former Arts & Entertainment Editor at Her Campus Temple University. She is a senior Journalism major and Sociology minor, who plans to pursuse a career in magazines after graduation. She enjoys anything relating to current events, pop culture and inspirational quotes. She can most likely be found watching Netflix, taking Buzzfeed quizzes or trying out new restaurants in Philadelphia. You can follow Paulina on Twitter & Instagram @paulinajayne15
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.