Things to Do in Philly to Get Into the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

October’s now in full swing and that means there’s a ton of fall events and activities you can find all over Philadelphia. And as much as I love watching 31 Nights of Halloween and seeing all my favorite Halloween movies on TV, nothing beats some real Halloween fun outdoors. That’s why I’ve compiled this list of 5 fun things to do around Philadelphia that will be sure to get you into the Halloween spirit all over the city.

Terror Behind the Walls

Where: Eastern State Penitentiary (2027 Fairmount Avenue) 

When: Now til November 9 (select dates)

$$$: prices vary from upwards of $24

If you’re into scarier attractions this is probably the best place to go within the city of Philadelphia. There aren’t many other places out there where you can find a haunted attraction inside an abandoned prison, after all. With six attractions, ranging from an infirmary to inmate break out, you’re bound to be scared out of your skin (in the best way possible of course.)  Before entering, you will be told to decide if you simply want to be an observer to the action or you can opt in to allow the characters to interact with you and possibly pul you away into secret areas. For this event, I’d recommend buying tickets online rather than at the door. You can check to see which days have cheaper tickets and guaranteed space too.

Jack’s Pumpkin Glow

Where: Fairmount Park (5201 Parkside Avenue)

When: Now til November 3

$$$: prices vary; adult tickets starting at $23

This attraction takes pumpkin carving to the next level. During the month of October, Fairmount Park is filled with beautifully carved, illuminated pumpkins that feature carvings of some classic Halloween characters, like the Addams family mixed with Eagles themed pumpkins. With pumpkin carving demonstrations, seasonal drinks, and food, it’s a really fun place to go if you’re in the mood for some Halloween fun without the scares. As with Terror Behind the Walls, I would recommend buying your tickets online for this event.

Ghost Ship on the Delaware River

Where: Race Street Pier (Race Street at N. Christopher Columbus) 

When: Now til November 3 (select dates)

$$$: Free!

This light- and water-based installment is part of the Waterfront Arts Program and the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation’s latest initiative. The 50-foot-tall and 90-foot-wide “ghost ship” is meant to take a look at the impact of immigration and forced immigration through the Delaware River in Philadelphia.

October Fest at Dilworth Park

Where: Dilworth Park

When: October 11-13

$$$: Free to attend

If you’re over 21 then you may enjoy the abundant amount of Oktoberfests all around Philadelphia. With these festivals all over the city all month it’s hard to just choose one to write about but the Octoberfest At Dilworth Park is definitely worth mentioning. With live music, pumpkin carving demonstrations, traditional keg tapping and of course food. Who can say no?

South Street’s Pumpkin Fest

Where: Headhouse Square (2nd & Lombard Street)

When: Saturday, October 26 from 12-5 p.m.

$$$: Free to attend

To end off the month, the South Street’s Pumpkin Fest has it all: live music, food, a straw bale maze, wagon hayrides, circus performances and more. With a wide variety of activities, you’re bound to find something you’ll like at this festival.

Hopefully, at least one of these events sparks your interest and help you have fun this Halloween season.

A sophomore media production major with a love for tea and thrift stores.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!