Hero
Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Fashion

The Truth Behind Piercings 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

How to know which piercings are right for you.

In recent years, It seems as though Gen Z and Millennials have made the trend of having multiple ear piercings very popular. Even just walking around Temple’s campus during the day, I often see students with 3 plus piercings in just one ear. Though this style has been popularized, what many don’t know is that there are pros and cons to the variety of piercings you can have in your ear; lobe and cartilage are just the beginning. As someone with 9 piercings total in her ears, I’ll be giving a little insight into which ones I would and would not recommend. 

Besides my initial lobe piercings that I got in elementary school, the first unique piercing I ever got was my conch. The conch fits snuggly in the middle of your ear, wrapping around the entire cartilage, which means it has to pierce through the most dense part of cartilage. Although the conch was my most painful piercing it is by far my favorite. Despite the fact that it’s practically in the middle of my ear, it still allows me to comfortably wear things like headphones or earbuds.  

It also looks great as just a solo piece. I can wear just my conch with no other earrings and it still draws attention because of its size. I have also gotten the most compliments on it. A few years after getting my conch, I also got my daith pierced. I mostly got his pierced because I had heard that it would help with my chronic migraines. Unfortunately, it never seemed to make a difference and I never enjoyed having my daith. It was so far inside my ear almost, that it was barely noticeable unless pointed out to people. 

It felt as though having it served no real benefit because no one ever saw it and even I myself hardly noticed it in the mirror. The placement of it also made it difficult to change out the jewelry. Due to these reasons, I removed my daith recently and have never put it back. I wouldn’t get it done again and probably would not recommend it to anyone. My most recent piercing was my tragus. So far, I’ve really enjoyed having my tragus pierced because since it is kind of on the outside of the ear, it is very noticeable yet simple.  

It pairs well with my conch and other lobe piercings. The only real “complaint” I would have about it is that for the first few weeks of healing, I could not wear earbuds in that ear. As someone who practically doesn’t do anything without listening to music, this was difficult for me. But eventually, the tragus fully healed and it was much easier to wear what I wanted to wear. I would honestly recommend this piercing to anyone who can survive a few weeks with no Airpods.  

While multiple piercings can be fun, I think its smart to know the pros and cons before scheduling an appointment. There were many annoying things about my own piercings that I wish someone told me before I went and added them to my ear.  

I am a sophomore nursing major at Temple University; writing for the fashion and beauty section. I love to read, write, play with my dogs, and be outside! This is my first year as a writer for Her Campus, and I am so excited to get to be a part of this organization and get to express myself through my writing!