Style > Fashion

The Style Trio We’ll Never Forget 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Learn how to dress like the three ’90s icons 

The infamous television show Friends heavily dominated the sitcom genre of the 90s and early 2000s. Even to this day, the show is still one of the most heavily watched on streaming platforms and through syndication. 

It’s no doubt that due to the sitcom’s popularity it had a heavy influence on the styles of its decade. Mainly speaking, the three main female characters- Rachel, Monica, and Phoebe- inspired trends that continue to be prevalent in 2022. Let’s look at some of those trends and learn how to dress like our favorite leading ladies on Friends.  

Out of all the Friends characters, Rachel Green was arguably the one most known for her trend-setting fashion choices. Some of her most iconic looks include a short skirt (typically black or plaid) paired with a sweater or baby tee.  

She often paired these cute skirts with some sheer black tights which made the outfit chicer. In the earlier seasons, overalls were also a big Rachel Green staple. 

She was often seen wearing a pair of short overalls over a striped or simple-patterned t-shirt. Even if you don’t have these specific items in your closet, you don’t need much to pull off one of her iconic outfits. A simple black skirt and a baby tee or cropped gray sweater would even do the trick! 

In terms of Monica Geller, Rachel’s other half, her looks were typically simpler and easier to mimic. One might even refer to Monica as someone who helped pioneer the ‘mom jeans’ trend, as most of her outfits included them. She would often pair some mom jeans with a half-tucked-in button-up or a simple tank top. Out of all the girls, Monica’s classic look is probably the easiest to replicate, and the most comfortable! 

Lastly but certainly not least, we have Phoebe Buffay. Phoebe undeniably had the most unique style out of the whole cast. She was the ‘quirkiest’ and most out-of-the-box member of the group, so it makes sense that her style emulates just that. Before the bohemian trend was even a thing, we had Phoebe.  

She mostly wore very flowy ‘hippie’ skirts and blouses. Her clothes often had fun and interesting patterns on them, and her hair was almost always braided and decorated with accessories. Simply pulling out your most flowy skirt and braiding your hair would complete a look that Phoebe would be proud of.  

While Friends may have started in the 90s, the iconic clothing styles of Rachel, Monica and Phoebe live on and are still just as appealing and fun to wear out today. They certainly set the standard for having a good sense of fashion.  

I am a sophomore nursing major at Temple University; writing for the fashion and beauty section. I love to read, write, play with my dogs, and be outside! This is my first year as a writer for Her Campus, and I am so excited to get to be a part of this organization and get to express myself through my writing!