The Importance of “Me Time” as a Temple Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

College can be stressful. Consider incorporating these tips for working “me time” into your busy days. 

It’s midterm season and everyone is feeling the pressure. With the ever-growing workload and hours of late-night studying, it is easy for students to lose themselves in their schoolwork. So as to not experience (or, at the very least, lessen the fallout of) a full-blown breakdown, it’s so important to check in with yourself during these times. 

Find a peaceful place on campus to study to eliminate the stressful energy. Grab your headphones and put on your favorite playlist while you work. Better yet, close your laptop and take a step back for a moment to do something that brings you joy. It’s the little things you can do for yourself that can actually really boost your overall productivity and keep you sane. Here are some things I like to do to incorporate some “me time” into my busy schedule. 

Scenery is Everything

Personally, it is hard for me to be my most productive self when I work in my dorm room. There are too many distractions and it’s so easy for me to just lay in bed and procrastinate. I try to keep my room a safe place to relax after a long day, which is why I prefer doing my work in different spots on Temple’s Main Campus. 

My all-time favorite spot is O’Connor Plaza. With all of the trees and the sounds of a waterfall in the background, it is such a peaceful environment. Most days, I grab a coffee and a bagel from Saxby’s and find a spot on the plaza to get my work done. Sometimes I go just to enjoy the quiet, get some sun, and recharge. I love these little moments because doing work by myself in a calm spot makes my stress virtually disappear, and I can focus better on completing my work. 

Get Away From the Screen

After hours spent staring at my laptop screen, I usually feel pretty drained and know I won’t be able to perform at my best until I find a way to recharge. When this happens, I grab my journal and start writing. Currently, I  use Moorea Seals’s journal 52 Lists for Happiness. Seals’ journal is filled with different prompts that allow me to organize my thoughts and ultimately understand myself better. When school becomes too stressful, I like to take a step back and use my brain in a different, less pressured way. I think journaling is a great way to just check in with yourself, which is especially important during these stressful midterm weeks. 

Listen to Music and Podcasts

Without a doubt, music makes everything better. When things get stressful, I immediately put on my most calming playlists. Listening to my favorite songs is just so comforting and always boosts my mood. The right song will bring you to the mental place that you choose. 

Some of my favorite mood-boosters are: 

1. “Golden” by Harry Styles
  2. “Left Me Like Summer” by Daily J
  3. “Channel Orange In Your Living Room” by Charlie Burg
  4. “Deep Sea Diver” by Briston Maroney
  5. “Shadow People” by Dr. Dog
  6. “Booster Seat” by Spacey Jane

Podcasts are also a lifesaver for me. Whether I’m walking on the treadmill or just sitting around on campus, I love listening to podcasts because they make me feel engaged without actually demanding too much of my attention.  

My go-to podcasts are:

1. Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain
  2. The Self Love Fix with Beatrice Kamau
  3. RELAX! with Colleen Ballinger and Erik Stocklin

I highly recommend finding a podcast you relate to because it feels like the podcaster is talking specifically about you, making it easier to apply their points to your own life. 

In college, doing your best on assignments is important, but that doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your mental health for academic achievement. To be your best self, you can incorporate these tips to help you feel good while tackling the more stressful parts of college life. 

Jenna Walker

Temple '25

Jenna is a Media Studies and Production major at Temple. She has always had a love for writing, especially about topics she is passionate about. In her free time, Jenna enjoys going to the beach, listening to music, journaling, and binge watching her favorite TV shows.