The Hailey/Selena Alleged Beef Has Ceased (or so it seems)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

And then it happened. The moment we least expected. Selena and Hailey put over a decade’s worth of phenomenon to rest. 

The world has been embroiled in the alleged feud between Justin/Hailey/Selena since the original couple broke up in November 2015, after being an on-again-off-again couple since 2011. There have been serious health battles, a Virgil Abloh wedding dress, beauty brand launches, etc. that have taken place throughout the 11-year media obsession known formally as Jelena, now known as Jailey.  

Justin and Hailey tied the knot in 2018, in a courthouse and then lavishly expressed their union in a formal ceremony and reception a year later, surrounded and supported by their nearest and dearest. A month after the matrimonial spirit wore off, Selena made a strong comeback to the music scene with the song “Lose You to Love me,” with lyrics like “in two months you replaced us like it was easy.” To fans, this was a cup of tea that would surly quench the insatiable behavior of every member of the Selena/Justin and Justin/Hailey fandoms that are always ready for more. 

Every month, either side of the respective fandoms continued their disdain for each other and the  women who once shared their respective relationships with the Canadian singer. The hounding of either side became a tirade of bullying that forced Selena to take a step back from social media, saying in a TikTok Live from February of this year, “I’m going to be taking a second from social media, because this is a little silly. I’m 30, I’m too old for this. But I love you guys so much and I will see you guys sooner than later.” She spoke of her love for the more meaningful things in her life, “I have the best friends, the best fans in the whole world, and I just couldn’t be happier.” The former Disney star made yet another comeback in late February, sharing her spring makeup routine using Rare Beauty products, her line of Vegan & Cruelty-Free Makeup in a short clip on Instagram

And then it happened. The moment we least expected. Selena and Hailey put over a decade’s worth of phenomenon to rest. They followed eachother on Instagram, according to a report from The Daily Mail.  

Not once during their alleged feud did they partake in their fan’s begrudged behavior, even when either of the women were accused of shading the other via social media. They always supported eachother from afar, never blaming eachother for things being taken out of context by their fans. Just before they followed eachother, Selena spoke out about the awful bullying and death threats that Hailey was receiving, saying it was time to end “hateful negativity.” Both women had been in contact, discussing how the media and even their respective fans had forced a narrative that they hated eachother. “I want to thank Selena for speaking out, as her and I have been discussing the last few weeks how to move past this ongoing narrative between her and I,” Hailey penned in an Instagram Story. She concluded, “In the end, I believe love will always be bigger than hate and negativity and there is always an opportunity to meet each other with more empathy and compassion.” 

Though they seemingly sealed their cordial relationship when they posed for pictures in October 2022 at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures 2nd Annual Gala in Los Angeles, their mutual following on Instagram may finally put the overzealous fans and media to rest, or at least for now.  

Hadiyah is a Journalism major studying at Temple University. When she's not working on articles for various publications, she enjoys trying new restaurants and listening to music. Her two favorite things: pasta and Drake.