Celina Timmerman-Mom Jeans Hanging
Celina Timmerman-Mom Jeans Hanging
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

The ’90s are Back in Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The 1990s was one of the biggest decades for inspiring popular fashion trends. Jennifer Aniston, Gwenyth Paltrow, and Sarah Jessica Parker are some of the big names who influenced movements or styles within the sphere of fashion and beauty. While many of these trends have seemingly died or become non-existent in the present day; others have stuck around and continue to be a popular staple in the 2020s.  

Perhaps my favorite trend that has had a recent resurge from the ’90s, is wide-bottomed, high-waisted ‘mom jeans.’ Before skinny jeans became popular, looser-fitting blue jeans were all the rage. Today, the popularity of those types of jeans, dubbed ‘mom jeans’, has made a comeback.  

It may be due to the fact that they’re more comfortable or easier to simply lounge around in than tight jeans are. Personally, I would rather throw on a pair of ‘mom jeans’ that are comfortable yet still make me feel confident to head to my 8 am, than squeeze into a pair of skinny jeans before I’ve even had coffee.  

Another comfy and simplistic fashion trend that has had its ‘90s comeback, is oversized flannels or button-downs. It’s easy and simple to throw a soft flannel over a plain shirt to add to your outfit or add an open button-down to your look when you know it’s going to be chilly but not cold enough to wear a jacket. The ’90s were a time of laid-back and casual attire, and this fashion choice fit right in, as it still does today.  

A different trend that people may be surprised to hear was first popular in the ’90s, are Doc Martens. The shoe brand has gained wide popularity in recent years and has become a staple of many Millennial and Gen Z outfits.  

However, Doc Martens first got their ‘big break’ back in the late ’80s and early ‘90s. While they never necessarily went away, it seems their huge resurgence had only happened in the past few years. Whatever it was that may have sparked it, the popularity of Doc Martens continues to remain steady, as I see the popular shoe brand being worn around campus on a daily. 

While you may or may not be a fan of some of these trends, they definitely have had their second moment in the spotlight by making a resurgence from first gaining popularity in the 90s. Most 90s trends that have come back, have been casual, laid-back, and comfortable trends that I’m personally glad to see make their way back into today’s fashion.  

I am a sophomore nursing major at Temple University; writing for the fashion and beauty section. I love to read, write, play with my dogs, and be outside! This is my first year as a writer for Her Campus, and I am so excited to get to be a part of this organization and get to express myself through my writing!