Temple’s VS PINK Reps Hosted a Fashion Show Watch Party, and It Was Adorable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Each year, Victoria’s Secret puts on an internationally-renowned fashion show. Whether you love it or love to hate it, the brand has shaped our society in more ways than one. Toned, beautiful Angels strut down the runway in lingerie that costs up to $2 million (that was the cost of this year’s gold leaf and sapphire embellished Fantasy Bra) and hundreds of millions of people eat it up like the cake that the Angels can’t touch. This year, Harry Styles, Miguel, Leslie Odom Jr., and Jane Zhang performed while models walked down the runway.

This year’s show was hosted in Shanghai, but Temple students got the opportunity to watch it from the top of campus. Since 2013, the Victoria’s Secret PINK at Temple team hosts a viewing party for the VS Fashion Show. And I was lucky enough to score a VIP pass.

I walked into the perfectly decorated Sky Lounge at The View, decked out in head-to-toe Aerie lounge attire (I was never a big conformist). This year’s theme was “Slumber Party” and the mandatory dress code was pajamas. The couches were draped with plush blankets and pillows, and there was a nail polish bar and photoshoot corner set up in the back. I was greeted by the two PINK Temple Campus Reps, junior Advertising major, Leah Hillegas and senior Public Relations major, Stephanie Rocha. They, along with all of their street team members, were bustling around the room, placing sequined pillows on couches, organizing the extensive snack options, setting up giveaway prizes and doing everything else it takes to keep their biggest annual event running smoothly.

“The past three years, I’ve seen this event come to life,” says Hillegas, who organizes the event along with Rocha. “I love being able to say ‘Okay, we’re going to have a nail polish table and we’re going to have girls get their hair done.’ It’s just so much fun to plan what you want to do and see it come to life.”

And come to life it did. The organization has to cap the amount of girls they let into the party, which is the reason for their intense (and hugely popular) Twitter and Instagram contests. The Philly-based on-demand beauty app, Manestreem, was one of the sponsors of this year’s viewing party. Girls could get their hair curled, straightened, braided or waved by a professional stylist throughout the night to make them feel like a VS Angel. Snacks were provided by Philly Style, Insomnia Cookies, Sparkling Ice, Red Bull, Philly Soft Pretzels, and more. There was even a paparazzo taking photos.

Promptly at 10p.m., the big screen TV lit up with a familiar, beautiful face: Harry Styles. The fashion show had commenced with the melodic sounds of ‘Kiwi’. During commercial breaks, Rocha and Hillegas had giveaways so attendees could win prizes like PINK panties, eye masks, face masks, backpacks, coupons and more. They alternated between ‘retweet to win’ contests on social media to ‘Truth or Dare?’ questions (it was a slumber party, after all). Girls practiced their runway walks, shouted out trivia answers and sang their favorite song by one of the performers in order to win goodies, making the party environment easygoing, accepting and fun.

While Victoria’s Secret is often touted as an anti-body positivity brand, there was nothing but positivity at PINK Temple’s party. All of the attendees shared smiles, laughs, and sugary foods and were just as kind to the Angels’ bodies as they were to their own.

And while some of us may be reluctant to get behind the VS brand, it’s important to note the positive, inclusive and fun presence that the Temple VS PINK team has right here on campus. Hillegas and Rocha are hustling every day to exceed expectations, and that is something we can always get behind.

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus