Temple Delivers in a Must-Win Game Against Memphis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The Temple Owls won in convincing fashion against the Memphis Tigers this Saturday at Lincoln Financial Field. The 31-12 win keeps the Owls hopes alive to appear in the American Athletic Conference Championship. But this clutch win provided more than just one notable aspect for Temple fans to be excited about.

The Temple Defense looked stronger than ever after two disappointing performances in the past weeks, allowing a one-win SMU to score 40 points, and losing to eastern conference rival USF last week in an ugly game. This week, the defense was faced with a Memphis offense who rank 6th in the nation in scoring. The Memphis Tigers, who average over 40 points a game, couldn’t manage a single touchdown all game, which is a season first. Senior Tyler Matakevich who recorded 11 tackles led the defensive effort. The Temple Defense gave the Tigers no chance to gain any momentum all game. Memphis has now lost three straight.

On offense, it was a historic day for PJ Walker. Walker’s two touchdown throws today put him at 50 for his career, passing Henry Burris and making him Temple’s all-time leader in passing touchdowns. Walker who started the season inconstant has found his groove in the homestretch and has risen as a dependable leader for the Owls. Wide Receiver Romond Deloatch and Tight End Saledeem Major were the recipients of Walker’s two touchdown throws. Running Backs David Hood, who ran a career high 61 yards, and Kip Patton each made an endzone appearance. Austin Jones booted in 3 for Temple from 35 out. The 31-point performance from the Owl’s allowed them to ease past the 21st ranked Tigers.

This win puts the Owls at 9-2 (6-1) for the season, with one game remaining. Matt Rhule and the Owls are now in a “win-and-in” situation next week against the UConn Huskies. USF’s commanding 65-27 win over Cincinnati yesterday has forced the Owls to take destiny into their own hands next week. A win over UConn in their last regular season game would edge Temple over USF and land them in the conference championship game. However, Beating UConn will not be a given, as the team is coming off a huge win. The Huskies upset 19th ranked and undefeated, Houston in a shocking 20-17 win in East Hartford. The Owls will face the Huskies at Lincoln Financial Field at 7pm next Saturday.

Maddie McDonald is a Senior Media Studies and Production major at Temple University. Aside from being a staff writer at Her Campus Temple, Maddie is the PR/Community Director for WHIP Temple Student Radio. Maddie is pursuing a job in radio, but enjoys writing about current trends in media, specifically music and sports. In her free time Maddie enjoys playing basketball, tweeting, and perfecting her spotify playlists.  She is also a writing intern for Trebel Music.
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.