Temple Association of Black Journalists: Nydja Hood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Black History Month is a time of great celebration for the African American culture. There are many pioneers that have paved the way for the black youth to have the right to freedom of speech, expression, and education. Due to civil cases such as Brown v. Board of Education, and brave civil rights activists, the black youth are on the path to success. We do not have to look very far to see example of success. Temple University is the home of vibrant black student organizations that use their platform to showcase their leadership.

One of Temple University’s finest student organizations is the Temple Association of Black Journalists. The student organization’s motto is, “Learn. Network. Succeed.” The organization’s own vice president, Nydja Hood, spoke on behalf of the TABJ and explained how their executive board follows suit with their motto.

Nydja Hood is a 20-year-old broadcast journalism major from New York. Her goal was to join a student organization at Temple to get involved in student life. Instead of stopping there, she went to Temple Feast and attended student programs to weigh her options. Nydja chose Temple Association of Black Journalists because she, “believed that [it] would be a good connection into the journalism world.”

The determined young woman has held her position as the Vice President for two years. Nydja along with the President, Kayla Solomon, work side-by-side to ensure that the organization runs smoothly. Nydja describes the success of Temple Association of Black Journalism as well-rounded. “The executive board makes collaborative efforts to communicate with our advisor and delegates responsibilities,” she said. As a whole, the entire organization is passionate about mentoring journalism students by introducing them to internships and connections. Aside from journalism students, Nydja expressed that, “You don’t have to be black or a student in the School of Media and Communication to take part all that the organization has to offer.” Their strongest suits are the media panels that have hosted guests from Fox News, Essence Magazine, and the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists.

Temple Association of Black Journalists is a black student organization that deserves ample recognition because the executive board makes efforts to connect with the surrounding North Philadelphia neighborhood. They regularly do community service at Bright Hope Baptist Church and volunteer at local soup kitchens. The executive board is adamant about connecting with the youth because, “the youth are ever evolving and are the future leaders,” says Nydja.

Aside from working hard as a the Vice President of TABJ, Nydja Hood is also a member of Babel, Temple’s spoken-word poetry organization, and the executive producer of her show, The Vibe. She has to manage her time as a student by setting aside time for each organization. As an upperclassman, she is an awesome person to speak with about maximizing the college experience. The advice that she has for freshmen and transferring students is to “recollect yourself because your mental health is important. Don’t be afraid to standout and be a part of all that Temple University has to offer.”

I am a student at Temple University and I aspire to be a Journalist. My passion in life is writing because I have the ability to express myself creatively through words. I enjoy writing poetry and I especially enjoy being a staff writer for the Fashion and Beauty section for Her Campus Temple! My missions in life are to be an inspiration to young girls, help others, and encourage young women and girls to feel beautiful!
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.