Style

Tattoo Etiquette: Three things to do when planning your first tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As we know, tattoos are a huge commitment! To make sure you have everything you need before you start planning that sleeve, take a look at these suggestions!

Research, Research, Research.

This one is so important.  Finding an artist to tattoo you can be pretty easy. Finding one that you like can be a little harder. It’s also extremely beneficial to see what kind of style they use to tattoo! If you want a realistic black and grey portrait of your cat, you’re not going to want to go to someone who specializes in American tradtional. Here are some tips on what to research! 

Take a look at the local shops and ask to see their portfolio. 

Ask friends where they got their tattoos.

Don’t be afraid to do a little Google searching and read some reviews. 

Find Inspiration

Here’s the thing: It’s 100% okay to find inspiration on the Internet (I’m sure we all have a couple of tattoo designs saved on Pinterest) BUT,  just make sure that you aren’t copying that tattoo.

Tattoos are art; imagine how you would feel if someone copied something you worked so hard on… and then profited from it.

Think About It.

This tattoo is forever. Make sure that this is something that you will never get tired of seeing.  Not every tattoo has to have a significant meaning, but definitely think long and hard about it.  Getting an ice cream cone on your thigh when you’re 18 might be cool, but is that something you want to see when you’re 80?

Autumn is a senior Public Relations major at Temple University. She enjoys cleaning, homemaking and writing. She loves cats, candles, tattoos, and flowers.
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!