This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

When my roommates and I all saw SZA’s September 3rd instagram post with the caption “Midnight EST,” we cancelled all plans of heading to bed early and stayed up to hear whatever she would be dropping!

SZA has been a personal favorite of mine since I discovered her 2017 “Ctrl” album, which is a project I’ve admired since my first listen. Her voice is absolutely stunning and so unique, as it was a sound that felt so new to me, yet so natural to listen to. Her production is enticing and compliments her beautiful vocals and powerful lyrics wonderfully. “Ctrl” is so highly acclaimed and praised for her honest, relatable lyrics and even stronger vocals. The album helped me grow into the young woman I am today, so I could not wait to hear her new music after a three year wait. My excitement was real and expectations were high.

When the clock struck midnight, we pulled out my phone and played her new single, “Hit Different”, which featured Ty Dolla Sign and production from the Neptunes. After a full listen and a couple more the next morning, I couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed with the song. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a solid R&B song that I would and have been listening to, but it did feel a bit basic. The beat is a bit more stripped back and simple, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I don’t think the substance of the song quite makes up for the basic beat. I’m usually a sucker for Ty Dolla Sign features and relaxed lyrics, but his chorus on this song feels a smidge too repetitive for my liking. I think that I just expected something a little different from the norm for SZA’s first single of the year. Maybe I would’ve preferred if she had released a song with no features. 

However, I do love SZA’s verses in the single. Her lyrics never fail to hit home and tell a story that feels similar to one of your own. In this song, she sings of a partner who she can’t help but stay attached and attracted to, even though he’s not the best for her and may have even moved on. One of my favorite lines is in SZA’s second verse. She sings, “Get myself caught in your crossfire. You a wild one, and I’m wading in you like it’s cool water”. How could you not just absolutely relate to these lyrics? She has such a talent of pouring real emotions and experiences into her music, and it’s always appreciated. Not to mention, her verses in the song are some of my favorite vocals in the whole piece. The release of the single was accompanied by a music video for the song, which was super visually-pleasing and really fitting for the song. The aesthetics were creative and her outfits were beautiful.

Although the song didn’t absolutely blow me away, I can still appreciate it as a slow, romantic R&B song that will be listened to by millions at kickbacks and in the bedroom this fall. I am definitely excited to see what SZA has in store for the rest of the year!

Sources: 

https://genius.com/Sza-hit-different-lyrics 

Hi! I am Molly McGowan, a junior English Secondary Education major at Temple University. I am a lover of good food, good books, good movies, good times with friends, and, most importantly, good music! Some of my favorite artists include Frank Ocean, Brockhampton, Tyler, the Creator, SZA, and more! I hope to connect with some of you through my interests and opinions and hope you all enjoy reading my articles!
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!