Sustainable Spring Fashions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It might be hard to imagine, considering we got snow again, but spring is right around the corner. Walking through the mall, store fronts are filled with sundresses, sandals, and t-shirts. Even in my large, wool, winter pea coat, I couldn’t help but browse through all the spring arrivals. This spring, you may want to consider buying some organic and sustainable clothing. Imagine the satisfaction of looking fabulous in natural and sustainable fashions!

Why buy organic?
Cotton makes up most of the world’s fabric.  As you can imagine, when the world demands something, there needs to be a mass production of the item. Well, cotton is no exception. Farms are growing cotton using huge amounts of pesticides. According to the USDA, in one year alone over 50 million pounds of pesticides were used on U.S. cotton fields. Where do these pesticides end up? Pesticides
and fertilizer use on cotton can seep into the ground and contaminate ground and surface water. That’s the water that we use to drink, wash and cook with. Gross. Not to mention that animals living in areas are at risk for the chemicals to run off into their natural habitats.

The use of the pesticides also has detrimental effects on the Earth. Because farmers need to use so many pesticides on the land, the soil becomes weakened by the high salt content. This leads to ruining the land and once land is not producing the cotton anymore, farmers will move onto more land.

An estimated 100 million households are involved in cotton production in 70 countries around the world.  According to Fairtrade International, cotton is an especially important source of employment and income within West and Central Africa, India, Pakistan, and Central Asia. The price of cotton has dropped dramatically and many of these farmers, despite the hard labor, do not make enough money to feed their families.

It’s all just one big vicious cycle.

How can you help?
Buying sustainable, recycled or organic clothing is the best way to separate yourself from this vicious cycle. Organic cotton is grown free from pesticides making it better for you and mother Earth. However, this is not as easy as going to the mall and finding an organic clothing store. Unfortunately, there is a bit of searching you have to do online to find nearby boutiques that service organic and sustainable clothing. Also, organic clothing can be expensive. This is partly because the quality of the garments is much higher than traditional farmed items.

We are lucky ladies though to be living in the fine city of Philadelphia. We have several boutiques that offer fair trade, sustainable fashions just a subway ride away! These boutiques offer organic, sustainable, and even fair trade items. The key to buying from these retailers is to also check their sale items. The prices to some items can reach $400, which is definitely not within most of our budgets.

Arcadia Boutique
819 N 2nd St
Philadelphia, PA 19123
 *PICTURE NUMBER 1*
($25, Issa Skirt)
This skirt was made from a vintage, gentleman’s sportscoat.

*PICTURE NUMBER 2*
($25, Robin Tunic)
This tunic is made with 100% organic cotton. This is super cute for the spring paired with leggings.

This is a sale item marked down from $108!

Art Star
623 N 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19123

*PICTURE NUMBER 3*
($22, Supermaggie)

This cute tee is made with 100% organic cotton for you’re sustainably fashion forward wardrobe.

*PICTURE NUMBER 4*
($32, Supermaggie)
Perfect for those sunny days and relaxed boyfriend jeans.

SA VA
1700 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103

*PICTURE NUMBER 5*
($58.50, lindy)
This top is not only 100% organic cotton, but it is also a fair trade item, handmade in Philadelphia.

*PICTURE NUMBER 6*
($52, carlita)
These bright shorts are another fair trade item, handmade in Philadelphia. 

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!