Start Watching “Shameless”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

If the preview for season five of Shameless wasn’t enough to get you pumped then the first four episodes are sure to do you in. This perfectly dysfunctional family allows us normal people to relate to their crazy lifestyle ways. It is a show that is sure to keep you entertained. Shameless uses season five to continue to follow the stories of the Gallagher family.

The first episode opens with Frank in bed with Sheila. They are still married and his daughter Sammie and her son Chuckie, live in Sheila’s yard.

Sheila and Sammie do not get along whatsoever. In this episode Sammie brings home random guys from the bar as a way of starving for her dad’s (Frank’s) attention. Of course, Frank could care less.

Frank, since having a liver transplant, has calculated that he is able to drink one beer a day. So to make the most of it Frank starts an “experiment” with the help of Debby, his youngest daughter. By the end of episode one it is discovered that Frank has made the strongest beer known to man. He even attempts to market his product at Kev and Vi’s bar.

Now since having the twins Kev and Vi are unhappy with each other, Vi doesn’t want to breastfeed anymore because it is hurting her. Kev completely disagrees with this decision which starts to tear the two apart. Vi feels as though Kev loves the babies more than her so she goes to work at the bar and leaves Kev at home. It gets to the point that by episode four Vi believes she might of accidentally cheated on Kev by dancing with a guy at a club.

In season five so far Fiona is living a good life. By episode two she is off of house arrest and is able to do as she pleases. She is working at the diner where she obviously has a thing for her boss and even though he is into her, he says she is too much trouble for him. By episode three Fiona goes to the show of a band who visits the diner frequently. After finding out that the lead singer (who was interested in her) had a girlfriend she ends up with one of the bandmates. Now get this, by episode four they are getting married (and no her boss isn’t happy).

Lip is back from college and attempting to do demolishing for one of the guys at the bar. He wants to make money to pay for school but it is a lot more work than he thought it would be. By episode three Lip is down in Florida visiting Amanda, his “girlfriend” from college. Episode four shows him hitting off with Amanda’s father about engineering. Oh yeah and Lip totally had sex with Mandy before going to Florida (but of course Amanda doesn’t need to know that).

Episode one shows that Ian and Mickey are happy together even though they are raising their own little dysfunctional family with Svetlana. They are all working together to raise their daughter and it is so adorable, even though it is not normal. Mickey is running a “moving” business where he really just sells the owner’s things. Svetlana is pregnant again but for somebody else. And Ian, well Ian is still struggling with bipolar but refuses to believe it or see someone about it (even though his family is concerned). Episode two also shows that Ian hasn’t really let go of his prostitot ways. The season shows him giving oral to unfamiliar men.  

Next in the Gallagher clan is Debby. Debby has grown up a lot since last season and this season she is really trying to prove it. Svetlana gives her a makeover and her and Carl have a bet on who will lose their virginity first. By the third episode Debby has a party at her house where she invites her ex boyfriend (the one who broke up with her because she was too young.) Well, needless to say she took advantage of him while he was drunk. Not only loosing her virginity but being named the town rapist because of it.

Carl is still Carl. He is crippled because of a skateboard accident and trying to get girls because of it. In episode four Carl helps Frank scare off the lesbians that moved into the neighborhood. Frank believes they are trying to sell out the neighborhood and wants a stop to it.

Then there is Liam. In this season so far nothing major has happened with Liam. He is seen in the first episode (majorly grown up may I add) playing with Fiona and her boss.

The most important part of the season so far was the ending of episode three. Frank’s project blew up killing Sammie’s lover and forcing Sheila to leave Frank and go travel. Episode four is all about Frank waking up not knowing what happened (finally back to his same routine). Frank couldn’t figure out what he did with his insurance check. So in episode four we follow as he retraces his steps. Somewhere along the line he bought a porsche, asian strippers, gambled, and then found out that he invested all of his money ($121,000) into a business he knew nothing about. 

Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.