This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

October is in full swing! Even in this unique fall season, there are plenty of ways to get into the spirit. With the cooling weather and the chunky blankets coming out, October is the perfect time to curl up with a spooky, atmospheric book. Especially now, with everyone spending more time inside, it is the ideal time to get into the Halloween spirit while igniting a love for reading! Here is a list of books to help your October feel a bit more spooky. 

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll

This book is perfect for people who don’t have a lot of time to devote to reading or have difficulties concentrating on a conventional novel. Carroll’s graphic novel includes quick-paced and haunting stories that hold the reader’s attention throughout the entirety of it. Through the book, Woods contains 5 different stories that will give you goosebumps and leave you on the edge of your seat. Her visuals are stunningly chilling as they bring the stories to life in an eerie manner. Fans of horror movies would appreciate the suspense Carroll creates through her creepy writing and artwork. 

Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

This book is ideal for the faint of heart who still want to enjoy a spooky read. Fowley-Doyle’s writing style will transport you into a magical yet realistic world. She takes the ordinary and develops it into something truly whimsical. The beautiful descriptions of scenery bring you into the world and exudes autumnal vibes. October is an especially wonderful time to devour this book as there is a dark overtone throughout the entire book that gives it a dash of spookiness. 

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 

This thriller is my favorite book on this list! Flynn draws the reader in with her clever plotline and has them question the reliability of the narrator throughout the entirety of reading. Despite its length, this novel is a perfect book to read if you are easily bored while reading. Flynn’s novel is impossible to put down from the opening and keeps the reader engaged with sudden twists and turns. Even if you have already watched the movie adaptation, I highly recommend reading the book as the detailed writing creates a completely different and spooky experience. 

The Call by Peadar Ó Guilín

Disclaimer: This book is not for the squeamish. The Call is incredibly unique as he crafts the story through Irish folklore while exploring dark and twisted elements. The gore component of this book will keep you up at night and will give you nightmares. Guilín’s writing style is unlike the other authors on this list as he is blunter and focuses less on the scenery aspect of the novel. It is nothing short of horrific. If intense horror movies are your cup of tea, The Call is the perfect spooky book pick for your October. 

No matter what level of spookiness you can endure, there is a spooky book for you. All of these books have unique properties that make them perfect for specific types of readers. So grab a warm drink, grab a cozy blanket, and get to reading! Have a happy Halloween! 

I am a Junior at Temple University at the College of Liberal Arts. I am an Opinion Writer for Temple's HerCampus, an English major, and a Political Science minor. When I am not in classes or studying, I am either reading or rewatching the Office.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!