Songs You Should Listen to Before One Direction – Hopefully – Reunites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

One Direction reunion rumors have been prevalent since the very start of the band’s self-proclaimed hiatus. However, with their ten-year anniversary coming up in the summer, the boys have been faced with the question more than ever before. Recently on the Late Late Show with James Corden, Liam Payne hinted that the group has been talking a lot more since the quarantine began. In another interview, he reiterated this statement before ending it with: “At the moment I’m not sure what I’m allowed to say.” Harry Styles, Louis Tomlinson, Niall Horan, and Payne also contributed to these rising rumors when the four refollowed former band member, Zayn Malik, on Twitter. Adding onto that, supporting the tease, the band’s official website was reactivated and updated with a 2020 copyright. Although the rumors are currently just that, some of the members have responded to this speculation. In an interview with SiriusXM, Styles referenced the possibility of a reunion over Zoom call: “I don’t know if that’s the reunion that we’ve had in mind. I don’t know if that would be the way to do it. But I’ll have a quick whip-around.” Nonetheless, if the band does come back together – and hopefully they will – here are ten One Direction songs you should listen to in preparation of a possible reunion.

Up All Night

This title track is from their debut studio album, Up All Night, which was released in 2011 in the United Kingdom and had a worldwide release in 2012. The upbeat, feel-good, tune tells the story of living the night to the fullest.

Back For You

This song about commitment is from their second studio album, Take Me Home. When listening to this, make sure to imagine it’s One Direction’s declaration that they’re coming back for us.

Over Again

“Over Again” is from the same album but has a more solemn tone. It’s about two people coming together, and starting everything over in an effort to fix the problems and insecurities that have risen. I picked this song, because it could be symbolic for starting the One Direction era all over again and regathering as a unit.

Half A Heart

This is from their third album, Midnight Memories, which was released in 2013 aka the best year for the 1D boys. “Half a Heart” has a pretty sad tone, as well, but it represents needing each other. And clearly, with how messed up our world has become, we definitely need One Direction back. 

Don’t Forget Where You Belong

Back when this song was at its peak, there were jokes revolving around Niall Horan and 5 Seconds of Summer, because he hung around the band often during their rise. However, it is just as fitting now for 1D and fans who are hopeful for their return. 

Night Changes

“Night Changes” is from the Four album, and coincidentally is the last album with all five members of the groups. This song is about how one event has the ability to alter an entire night or an entire experience. I’m sure the entire fandom would agree that a reunion, whether it be online or in person, would be enough to change a lot.

Once in a Lifetime

This song is from the same album and depicts a lot of wishful thinking. I particularly love the chorus of closing your eyes and seeing what you hope for.

Love You Goodbye

This is from their very last album, A.M., and it’s about wanting to say goodbye and reminiscing on past memories. After they went on hiatus, it really hits hard.

History

Similar to “Love You Goodbye,” “History” is about the end of a chapter. This was the last song they made a music video for and their last single to date. It serves as a bittersweet farewell to the fans and can honestly bring me to tears if I think too hard on it.

What Makes You Beautiful

Last but not least, listen to One Direction’s debut single and think back on every memory they gave us. They may not be together anymore and they may not get back together, at all, but it’s hard to deny the effect they had on millions of people around the globe.

Let’s celebrate the ten-year anniversary coming up in July by remembering how simple life was then, compared to how it is now. Remember to stay at home, wash your hands, hope for a reunion, and jam out to these five memorable albums if you’re feeling nostalgic.

Rosie Hendricks, a junior journalism major at Temple University with a minor in Ancient Mediterranean Studies, often finds themself busy scrolling through social media for the latest scoop on anything arts and entertainment. For insight into what they spend their time obsessing over, click on a few of their articles and immerse yourself in the delights of recommendations, reviews, and more.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!