Songs to Keep You Upbeat During Cold and Dark Winter Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

On extremely cold days when the sun sets early and it is gloomy, it can be hard to keep pushing through every day. School work is piling up and getting outside can be tricky. Having a great playlist to get you through the day can be the perfect mood booster. Check out these songs to help keep your attitude up for those long winter days. 

1. Chicken Fried by Zac Brown Band

This summer jam makes me think of warm and sunny days. Not only does the song make me think I am at a summer barbecue but it fills me with joy. The country loving beat and lyrics are just the boost you need when the sun is setting and it hasn’t even hit 6 p.m. yet.

1. Shake It Off by Taylor Swift

Shake It Off immediately makes me want to get up and dance no matter the weather; it’s the perfect way to feel positive. The song being about brushing off the haters and doing your own thing is perfect when you are feeling sad that spring is not here yet. Shaking off those negative thoughts and continuing to be the best version of yourself is what this song is all about. There’s no doubt everyone needs some more of that in their lives. 

1. Keep Your Head Up by Andy Grammer

Listening to this song while down is a great way to motivate yourself to keep pushing through. It can be really easy to lose motivation during the winter months and even doubt yourself. Listening to this song can give you that necessary boost of motivation to keep pushing through the cold days. It provides just the right confidence lift we’re all yearning after on a dreary Wednesday night in the middle of February. 

1. Sunday Best by Surfaces. 

This on a Sunday night is absolutely all you need to set up for a great week. The calm yet uplifting music is the best way to help yourself to feel good. It even says it in the song! “Feeling good, like I should” to start the song off is already guaranteed to give off good vibes. Sunday Best is the best way to start your week. 

1. Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen

This 2012 top hit will always put a smile on my face. The cheesy lyrics are far too good to hate. Although there is no bigger positive message to this song, there’s just no way to ignore that beat. It brings me right back to a time of innocence. The non-explicit song with no inappropriate lyrics just brings back childhood memories, lifting you up with the best feeling of nostalgia there is.

Winter could be a dreadful time filled with uncertainty. It is very possible the season feels never-ending. Music can be such a simple but effective way to get your spirits up. Having music that gets you up and moving is important during the winter months! Music is such a simple thing in our lives we sometimes forget the impact it has on us but having positive songs to listen to when you are down kicks out those negative thoughts and fills you with joy and happiness. So turn on your phones, head on over to Spotify or Apple Music or whatever platform you listen to music on, and start your week off right.

Kaitlyn Hoey

Temple '22

I am currently a senior journalism major at Temple University. I love writing and listening to new music and binging new shows.