This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Did you just get home after a long day of work or school? Are you in need of a “pick-me-up”? If you answered yes to either of these questions, check out my top 6 picks for the best shows to watch when you need to turn your brain “off.”

#6: The Simple Life: You may ask yourself: “Is that Paris Hilton?” The answer is yes, and watching this stupid, yet hilarious show from the early 2000s is the perfect way to unwind. Watch as Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie attempt to live “normal” lives while living with complete strangers. From milking cows to flipping burgers, these celebrity BFFs try out odd jobs and ultimately show they are not fit for the “simple life”. Free episodes can be found on Youtube and Tubi

#5: Modern Family: This is one of my favorite shows and I wish I became a fan of it before it ended. I like this show because you can watch an episode from any season and still be able to follow the plot. The episodes have light-hearted humor about the everyday challenges of American families, so it is perfect for a relaxing evening. You can watch this show every day on the USA Network.

#4:The Middle: This show is super underrated and I think everyone should watch it. It is about a working-class family in Indiana who seems to always have bad luck but still manages to find humor in their lives. It is truly one of the best shows out there. You can watch this on Freeform.

#3: Billy on the Street: For anyone who is a fan of Billy Eichner’s tweets, this show is a must-watch.Watch as Billy roams the streets of New York City playing games and interviewing all kinds of people. His chaotic energy and dark sense of humor will keep you hooked for multiple seasons. You can watch this show on Netflix.

#2: Arthur: If you are feeling nostalgic and want to relive your childhood this is the best option. I will never get tired of watching this show, no matter how old I am. Rewatching old episodes reminds me of a simpler time and watching as an adult makes the show even funnier. You can watch this show every weekday on PBS, just like when you were little. 

#1: Gilmore Girls: My ultimate pick-me-up show is this one. The calming nature of the lighting scenery is perfect for when you need to wind down after a long day. The episodes are always amusing and the collegiate aesthetic of seasons 4-7 can help you romanticize your time in college. You can watch this show on Netflix and every afternoon on UPTV.

Overall, taking time after a long day to watch a relaxing show can be a great way to practice self-care. Life has been moving really fast lately so giving yourself a break once a day will help you stay grounded. Happy watching! 

Alyssa Threadgill is a senior journalism and theater student at Temple University. She is also a Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple. Alyssa takes great pride in her chapter membership, as she started writing for Her Campus as a freshman in 2020. She has always had a passion for media and dreamed of being "the next Oprah Winfrey." From a young age, she was involved in the performing arts, studying classical ballet, tap and jazz for more than 10 years. For Alyssa, having a career in entertainment journalism is the perfect way to combine her two passions. For the past few months, she has been working as a freelance entertainment writer, covering film and television press junkets and other interviews. Alyssa is also a Multiplatform Programming Intern at 6abc in Philadelphia. She is proud to intern at her favorite hometown television station and work alongside journalists she has admired since childhood. Alyssa's career goals include becoming a Red Carpet correspondent and then later hosting her own entertainment talk show on a national network.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!