Sexism in Women’s Pants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Women love pockets and can’t get enough of them, and I mean that literally.

So why are women deprived of pockets? Usually, all our pockets are either small or fake. It’s frustrating and annoying that we don’t have room or the place to put our cell phones and money somewhere, unless we bring a bag. Women get excited when our dresses have pockets in them because it’s rare to find. However, jeans already have pockets in them but they are useless. We can’t fit our phones in them, unless we put them in our back pocket or bag. If we put them in them in our front pockets, I guarantee it will fall out because our pockets are too tiny for our phones.  

Why is that? It’s because of SEXISM.

Evolution of Women’s Pockets

Before the 17th century, both men and women didn’t have pockets in their clothing, so both genders would add purses or bags to their outfits. However, towards the 18th century, men’s clothing all of the sudden got pockets and women were left behind in this new fashion trend. Women used to tie their bags around their waist during that time period and for some ladies, pockets weren’t seen on their clothing. It was worn under their petticoats. In the mid late 1800s, women were fighting for liberation and that’s when pockets for women was first introduced in women’s clothing. Pockets represented independence, therefore many women started to wear pants in the era to prove that they were equal to men. However, pockets went out of fashion because the fashion industry and the social gender norms wanted to make women’s silhouettes ‘thinner’ and more feminine.

Gender Norms in Pockets

‘More feminine’? So wait, pockets are supposed to be masculine? What does that even mean? Well, like Christian Dior stated in Paul Johnson’s article in 2011 on the history of pockets called, “The Power of a pocket”, The famous French fashion designer and multi-million company owner Christian Dior said, “Men have pockets to keep things in, women for decoration.” Dior’s statement gave people an idea that there are gender roles being played out in clothing. It seems like men’s clothes are designed for utility and for a purpose. However, women’s clothes are designed just to look beautiful.

Chelsea Summers wrote an article for Racked called, “The Politics of Pockets” on her symbolism of freedom for women. “The less women could carry, the less freedom they had” Summer’s said. If men can have pockets, women should have pockets too. We work, we make money, we’re busy, and have phones. We deserve to have a secure place to put things in.

Also, it seems like a lot of bag companies are making money because women don’t have reasonable size pockets to put their things. They want us to be dependent on bags so they can make money. Don’t me wrong purses are great. I love my Michael Kors handbag, as much as the next person, but I want pockets that I can put my hands and phone in. Some places I go I don’t really need to bring a bag, such as sports games, parks, indoor entertainment center like Sky Zone, etc. Back then, the only reasons men had pockets because they usually held money for their family’s companion and themselves. But now, women can carry their own money too. It’s our money and we work for it, so we have the right to hold our money and put it in our pockets like men.

Struggles with Female’s pockets

Not many women realize this but, men’s jeans pockets are bigger than women’s and men’s pockets are real. Men don’t have to go through the struggles women go through with jeans pockets. My younger brother and my guy friends don’t have troubles with their pockets, and it’s annoying. Men could put their hands in their pockets, along with putting items in their pockets, such as phones, wallet, money, earbuds, etc. Women can only put their phones in their back pockets and sitting on your phone isn’t comfortable sometimes either. Also, I get paranoid that my phone is going to fall out from my back pocket if it’s not in front of me.

Sometimes girls don’t carry their purses to the bathroom. When we use the bathroom,  we need a place to put our phones. Most likely, we’re are going to put our phones inside our bras and it’s uncomfortable to do that. It’s not fair that men can go to the bathroom and put their phones in their pockets and for women having to figure out where to put their phone, it they didn’t bring their purses with them. This is why we girls need regular sized, real pockets. Not only because of the struggles we go through, but it represents our independence. It shows we are hard working people and we make money.

Instead of use for decoration, they should give us the ability to carry things around. Pockets have that purpose for men and should have the same purpose for women. Pockets need to be back in style for women and we should see more of them. Fashion companies must end this sexism and give us back the pockets that we deserve!

I study journalism at Temple University. I’m desi and the happiest person anyone could ever meet. I love writing, reading, and dancing.