Selena Gomez Opens Up About Mental Health in Vogue’s April Issue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

In mid-2015, Selena Gomez spoke up about her Lupus condition and the chemotherapy she had to go through in 2013. The singer also stated that she discovered some of the side effects to Lupus include anxiety, panic attacks, and depression.

Eventually, these side effects caught up to Selena and she confessed that she needed a break. In early 2016, she spoke once again about the importance of her mental health.

Now in the April issue of Vogue, Selena admits that she canceled the end of her Revival tour last summer to check into a treatment facility in Tennessee.

“I was depressed, anxious. I started to have panic attacks right before getting on-stage, or right after leaving the stage.” Gomez said.

Photo credit: Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott, Vogue, April 2017

Opening up about her conditions was no piece of cake but it was a step in the healing process.

During her treatment in Tennessee, she gave up her phone for 90 days and was happy to be surrounded by a couple of girls who weren’t caught up in her fame. She appreciated that she was able to be herself and confess everything.

Her periods of struggles show us that just because she is a celebrity, it doesn’t mean her life is perfect. Despite some false perceptions of Gomez in the media, she tries to show people that she is just like everyone else.

Although there was a point where Gomez gave up social media for a few months, it is also one of the ways she projects a ‘normal’ life. Many of her fans have been supportive of her, and with their help, she has learned to accept her off-days.

She understands that it’s okay to admit when there is a mental health problem and it’s better to take care of the situation right away instead of bottling it up until she reaches her breaking point.

Selena admits that she sees a therapist five times a week and that the treatment has left a huge positive mark on her.

“I wish more people talked about therapy,” she said.

Gomez is not alone on her thoughts about mental health. While more people are aware and understanding of mental health, we still have ways to go.

There are still too many people who debate if mental health is real and worthy of research and treatment.

Not everyone admits their mental health issues and not everyone feels courageous enough to admit them.

Mental health is no joke and shouldn’t be tossed to the side. Someone like Selena Gomez should be admired for bravely speaking out about her health problems and trying to encourage fans to seek help if needed. With women like her, Gomez makes an excellent role model in showing people that they are never alone with their issues and that with care and time, things will get better.

I'm a senior at Temple University. I've worked with Her Campus for over two years and have been a staff writer, campus life and news editor, and opinion editor. When I'm not working on my writing, I'm usually out exploring Phildelphia. I also enjoy drawing, taking pictures of interesting scenery, and listening to music. Follow me on Instagram @raayyychell and Twitter @rachelameliaaa.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.