A Review of Netflix Original Series “Spinning Out”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

To kick off the new decade, Netflix released yet another original series called “Spinning Out,” following the lives of figure skater Kat Baker and her family as she trains for the Olympics. 

This chilling ten-episode drama depicts the reality of living with bipolar disorder through the stories of Kat and her mother, Carol, who both suffer from this disease. It shows the impact bipolar disorder has on relationships, employment, family, confidence, and how it makes competing in such a pristine sport, like figure skating, even more challenging — especially because it’s centralized on perfection. This is exactly why Kat kept her condition a secret from her athletic trainer, peers and the general public, as there is a stigma attached to it. 

Kat’s life proves to be anything but simple. While suffering from her own mental illness and battle with self-harm, she also endures living with her abusive, bipolar mother, who experiences psychotic episodes every so often when she struggles to manage taking her medication. On top of this, Kat has had to protect her little sister, Serena, from being subjected to Carol’s abuse, all while being of a lower socio-economic status. 

What I admire most about this series is the complexity of each character, particularly Kat, because of how the writers built up her backstory. In the very first episode, we learn that Kat suffered from a traumatic fall on the ice during her performance a few years back, ultimately cracking her skull and removing her from the competition. In present day, Kat experiences PTSD from the event, causing her to fear being lifted or performing specific moves. 

As the plot progresses, we see Kat face her fear, break away from her mother, train to go to the Olympics with her new skating partner and romantic interest, Justin, and we eventually watch her spiral out of control when she stops taking her medication, leading her to a manic and depressive episodes. 

I admire Kat’s strength and growth as a character throughout the entire season. She continuously pushed herself to become a better person and a better skater, and she worked tirelessly to prove to herself and Carol that she can overcome whatever obstacles she is faced with. I also respect her decision to eliminate Carol’s toxic behavior from her life so she could finally have time to take care of herself, since spent her whole life practically parenting Carol and Serena. 

“Spinning Out” contains many dark and icy twists, heartbreaking moments and will undoubtedly make you experience feelings of anger and frustration, but it does not fail to keep you wanting more. 

Sam Margolis

Temple '21

Sophomore criminal justice major at Temple University
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.