This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, and it is the perfect time to sit down with family or friends to enjoy a scary movie. It may be hard to find the right movie because so many of them have the same plot or have terrible acting. Because of my love watching horror movies, I decided to rank my favorites below for you to watch this Halloween season!

5. Insidious

Insidious will always be one of my favorite horror movies. It is about a young boy who gets possessed and falls into a comatose state, getting stuck in another dimension filled with the dead who want to take over his body. The whole movie revolves around the family with help from a psychic who tries to guide their son back to his own body. I put this one at number five because it isn’t quite as scary as the other ones on the list.

4. The Conjuring

For a long time, I saw this movie as the scariest horror movie I had ever seen because it was based upon a true story. It is the story of a family who moves into a house on cursed land. Paranormal things begin to happen in the house and the family must reach out for help from a psychic to save them. I don’t want to spoil the end for those who haven’t watched this movie yet, but this movie is a must-watch.

3. The Babadook

This film revolves around a son and his mother following the passing of his father. The mother is dealing with the grief of her husband’s death when her son starts to fear that there is a monster lurking in their home. She tries to calm her son’s fears until she realizes that she sees the monster too. Once again, I don’t want to spoil too much, but this movie had me scared for hours after I watched it.

2. Hereditary

Hereditary opens with the passing of the Graham family’s matriarch. Her daughter and grandchildren discover disturbing things about their past relatives and try to run from the fate of their inheritance. I can’t give out too many details from this movie because it is one of those films that you just need to watch. This is probably the most disturbing of the horror movies on this list.

1. Us

Coming in at number one is the movie Us. I have this as my number one because it was terrifying but also so different from the others on this list. I’ve never seen a movie with a similar plot to this one, which makes it so horrifically unique. A woman by the name of Adelaide Wilson brings her family to her childhood beachfront home. After a traumatic experience from her childhood, she senses that something bad is going to happen. Four masked strangers show up to her house and they discover that each attacker resembles a member of their family. This is just the start, but I don’t want to spoil anything else that happens. Definitely don’t watch this one alone!

There are many horror movies out there, but these were the most memorable ones for me. I hope this list helps you narrow down your Halloween movie checklist!

Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!