Questions You’ll Probably Get Asked This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and just like every holiday family gathering, you’re stuck being asked the same questions from your distant relatives that you see once — maybe twice — a year.

1. What are you planning on doing after graduation?

UGH. This is the #1 question I’ll want to avoid this Thanksgiving. Your family, of course, wants to hear that you have ten jobs lined up already. When, in reality, you have an unfinished paper due tomorrow and have slept through your 8 a.m. three times in a row this semester alone. Regardless if you’re a senior or not, you’ll most likely be asked what you’re doing after school. I know I will.

2. Are you dating anyone?

This question really haunts us single folks out there. Like, no, grandma, not a single beer-guzzling frat boy has tried to cuff me yet. Shocking, I know.

3. How are your classes this semester?

My typical response for this question is “fine” and move on, I’d rather not go into any further details. Like Ross Geller said, “WE WERE ON A BREAK!” Other questions like this include “how are your grades?” or “how’s college?” etc. College and/or my classes are typically stressful, especially during this time of the year with finals coming up, so please don’t even ask.

4. What classes are you taking?

This question isn’t as bad, but it’s still a drag to name and explain every class you’re taking. Just to sum it up, say you’re taking classes that go with your major and hope that your answer suffices.

5. Wait, what’s your major again?

It’s funny — I get asked this more than once during the holiday season, even though I told that person a million times what my major is. Not only do they forget my major constantly, but they don’t even understand what my major is.

6. Are you really going to eat all that?

Yes, I am really going to eat all that. Thanksgiving only comes around once a year and I have to eat at least a bit of everything. I’m a starving college student, so let me eat my mashed potatoes in peace.

7. Can you turn on the football game?

When you’re football-obsessed family comes over, you know that Thanksgiving is going to turn into a sports tournament real quick. I don’t know about you, but I am not a sports fan. I would rather watch reruns or the “Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade” or “The Dog Show.”

Even though getting asked all these questions (and more) on Thanksgiving isn’t a fun ordeal, don’t let it bother you from what’s most important: turkey, being with your family and being thankful.

Don’t let anyone steer you off your path of success just because they think you should do something different. Just remember, be prepared to explain your 20+ year life plan and the laundry list of reasons as to why you’re still single to every single aunt and uncle. It’s bound to happen.

Happy Thanksgiving! If you’re going out for Black Friday, be safe.

Ashley is a senior journalism major at Temple University. She loves music, concerts, and celebrities. She loves to write all things fashion, lifestyle, and pop culture! Instagram: ashleygale23