The Queer Student Union Presents… The Rocky Horror Picture Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The Queer Student Union (QSU) performed The Rocky Horror Picture Show and they completely exceeded all of my expectations. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a 1975 musical comedy horror film about a newly engaged couple that becomes stranded during a storm and seeks help from the strange Dr. Frank-N-Furter and his residents.  However, if you have already seen the movie throw everything you know about it out the window because the production that put on was mind-blowing and different.

The show started at 8pm and as people were waiting in line to get in cast members of the show were walking around asking if this was anyone’s first time and if so they marked their heads with a red V on their heads for virgin. We were allowed to enter at around 7:50. QSU was selling prop bags for the show, and the proceeds went to supporting their organization. Now, that was where the confusion started, I didn’t get why we needed prop bags, but I will explain.

In my head I thought people were dressed up because they were either in the Halloween spirit or they were actually in the show. I believed QSU was going to perform the whole show instead of showing it on the movie screen but they did both, and there were lines that both the cast and audience said.

The prop bags were filled with rice, newspapers, noisemakers, confetti, toilet paper, toast, a party hat and cards. The official prop list also has water pistols, candles or flashlights, rubber gloves, a bell and hot dogs and prunes, even though the last two are not recommended. These items are used through out the show at moments it makes sense during the movie. Some examples are rice during a wedding, newspapers during the storm and a party hat when a character in the movie puts his on.

Now despite what you may think, this isn’t just a thing that the QSU made up and performed, it’s a legitimate thing, there’s a whole website dedicated to it. For those who haven’t seen the movie there are long pauses, funny moments and dance scenes. You know that saying, “that’s what she said,” that you hear people add in during a conversation. Well, the Rocky Horry Picture Show was practically made for those moments.

There’s a whole script for the audience to follow and it adds hilarious commentary that had tears running down my face. If you haven’t seen the movie I would recommend you watch it before you see the live performance added, so you have an idea of what’s going on.

This is the second year QSU is putting on this performance and it was fantastic and engaging and a great way to start the Halloween Weekend, that is now sadly over. However, you can still see this type of performance around Philadelphia and I definitely recommend going with friends because the more the merrier. Honestly, I can’t wait to see the performance again I’m just shaking with antici. . . . . . . . . . . . . pation.              

Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.