This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As the air gets drier and temperatures drop, our skin is the first to feel the effects, especially those with dry skin; the usual lotions and moisturizers may not work as well up against the brutal winter air. Because of that, around this time of year, a certain skincare product begins to trend and circulate: Raw African Shea Butter. If you haven’t heard of it, the thick, hard substance is used to moisture and nourish skin. This article will help you decide whether or not to indulge in this chronic-dry-skin cure.

Pros

1. Price $$

Most online sellers, including Amazon, have the product for around $10 or less, so it’s easy on your wallet. Trying out this raw butter won’t hurt you financially, which is always a plus!

2. Quantity vs Quality

If you do purchase the shea butter from Amazon, you will most likely receive an 8 oz container full. You only would need a dab of the butter to cover the target area, and it seeps into skin well. The Raw African Shea Butter can be kept for months without worries of running out, despite the smaller amount, and it works amazingly well.

3. Universal Use

Along with the great quality, this butter can be used for practically any place on your body, no matter the skin type. It can moisturise the driest of feet and hands, or soothe the most dehydrated faces. Some buyers even have used the soap version as part of their hair care or body wash routine, claiming it locks in moisture after a wash; the possibilities are endless!

Cons

1. Smell

Due to the authenticity of this natural butter, the smell is not chemically enhanced in any way. This may put off some consumers, as it has a waxy, slightly strong odor to it. Not exactly a pleasant thing to smell all day after applying to your face.

2. Thickness

African Shea Butter works exceptionally well for dry-skin types, however it may not be ideal for those with oily skin. The butter’s thickness may clog pores in naturally oily skin, hindering the moisture from being absorbed into the skin. This may even increase the frequent oil secretion you already deal with, yikes!

3. Texture

Though a large portion of reviews claim this product works wonders for their dry-skin issues, not every buyer is pleased. African Shea Butter is hard naturally, and has a crumbly consistency of sorts. You may have to heat up the product slightly before use, which can be a hassle to some. Unlike lotions or smoother butters, this moisturizer is bumpy and rough to touch.

It all depends with what you are comfortable spending, and how your skin is naturally. A thick butter may be too much for your skin or it could be your saving grace. Make sure to research raw African Shea Butter fully before deciding to purchase it to ensure you are 100% satisfied with your choice. At the end of the day, the goal is to be as prepared as possible for the harsh winter winds, whatever products that may include.