Profile: Marissa Giletto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Marissa Giletto, a senior at Temple University, has had quite the on-air experience throughout her time as an Owl. It all started her freshman year when Giletto pitched the idea of creating Temple Talk, an entertainment talk show – the first of its kind on TUTV. She wanted to create a show that delivered the latest entertainment news, maintaining a relatable approach, while reaching out and inviting local entertainment personalities to be guests on the show. “Usually we try to get someone who’s made headlines recently and who is pretty local.”

Giletto mentioned that all of her previous TV experience took place during high school, delivering the morning announcements. However, she’s always had her eye on television mogul Kelly Ripa, explaining how her father used to comment on their similar personalities!

Though arriving at Temple as a declared Media Studies and Production major, she soon switched, becoming a Journalism major after determining it vital to gain solid reporting and interviewing skills.

In four words, Giletto describes Temple Talk as being:

1. Genuine
  2. Carefree
  3. Fun
  4. Dedicated

Four seasons into series, Giletto explains how the show is more than what she could’ve expected, due to the high volume of dedicated volunteers willing to help out. 

Advice she’d give to females wanting to pursue the talk show route: “Planning it is one thing, but doing it is another. If you just dream about it but don’t put in the work, future employers won’t see it.”

Personality traits Giletto deemed to be essential in the talk show world include being flexible, “because schedules are bound to change, and when that happens, you have to be able to bend with the changes. Things will come up with little notice.” She shared that being passionate and having a spark behind the work you do is also very important. Lastly, keeping the show real, relatable and fun is key to keeping an audience. “You need the personalities; unfortunately, you can’t be boring.”

Discussing pre-show butterflies, Giletto confessed, “Before the first few episodes, I had full on anxiety.” Four seasons later, she admits she still gets a little nervous before each show. “I don’t plan what I’m going to say during the Host Chat segment, so sometimes I say something that doesn’t get the amount of laughs I expected. But I think it’s things like that, which make the show genuine and real.”

As for her future plans, Giletto announced that she’s already got her foot in the door of the talk show realm. Along with participating in news internships throughout her time at Temple, this past summer Giletto took the “dream-come-true” opportunity travelling to LA, interning at CBS’s The Late Late Show with James Corden!

As for a career in the business, Giletto explained, “You won’t jump straight into hosting a talk show from college, typically because you need some sort of following and fan base in order to be successful. After college you’re typically a production assistant working 12 hours a day for little pay. But, you then work your way up, someday becoming a producer, and maybe – if you’re lucky – end up on air.” Giletto pointed out that a lot of people become news reporters, then go onto to be reporters, correspondents and hosts for shows like E! News, or Entertainment Tonight.

“If I’m being honest, I have no idea where I think I’ll start or end up. I just know I want to work in TV somehow, so I’m waiting to see what God has planned for me!”

She advises interested Temple students to get involved with TUTV early on. “It’s so easy and there are so many opportunities for so many different types of television. My advice would be to pop your head into any of the studios when they film. Plus, General Manager of TUTV, Paul Gluck, as well as Assistant General Manager, George Cummings, are absolutely amazing mentors and professors that will make your journalism and TV experience all that it should be. I highly recommend getting to personally know them!”

As for the fate of Temple Talk, Giletto says that she’s been training a few people at the show, including the “amazing volunteers who are dedicated and amazing at what they do.” Lastly, Giletto states, “Temple students are so passionate, and as long as that passions stays, I think it’ll stick around.”

She describes her time at Temple as a journey that she would not have been able to experience anywhere else. “I’ve always said that I never fully felt like a college student. I’ve just felt like I was a working professional who was also taking classes. That’s what I think makes Temple so amazing.” 

Anyone interested in becoming involved with the show, behind the scenes or on-air, can e-mail the crew at templetalk.tv@gmail.com to receive information about Temple Talk meetings and auditions.

Beatrice K.

Temple '20

Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.